Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bilstien 5100s help an ol boy out please

Old 01-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
washed in the blood and wrapped in camoflauge!
Prerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud of

Name: A.J.
Prerunner2511's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstien 5100s help an ol boy out please

Hey im looking around at 5100s and i found a set of front and rears for $319 brand new. I thought that was reasonable. Do you have to replace the coilovers? I want to hear from people that have them and would you recommend them? I want them to level and lift my truck. I have read some places that the 5125 for the rears are adjustable up to 1" is that true? because im thinking of putting my fronts on 2.5" and rears at 1" how would that look? Ive got to thank yall for all the help ive got just in the short time that I have been a part of this site, all of my questions have always been answered and I appreciate it.

Thanks
AJ
Old 01-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Jojack is on a distinguished road

Name: Joel
Jojack's Tacoma Gallery
Downsouthmotorsports and look up the tw coupon code. I just put 5100 on the front of my dclb sport last month and love it. I have the tsb in the rear and front set at 2.5. If you raise too much in rear you will likely have to extend brakelines I think. There are lots of posts on this so search em up!

No you don't have to run new coils however most will suggest you do. I didn't and no issues here.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
x1000 on getting them from Downsouthmotorsports. You get like $20 or $30 off, and they are super cool. Got mine from them about a month ago.

You aren't replacing the coilovers, per se. You are replacing the shock portion of the coilover. You need to rent a coilover spring compressor, compress the spring, take out old shock, put in 5100. It's not too hard, just be careful with the compressor as there is a lot of tension on those springs! You can use all the old hardware, just inspect it real good before you commit to taking it all apart, otherwise you'll be out one vehicle while you order the necessary parts. Most people are able to use the OEM parts, though, so you *should* be okay.

I have an 04 doublecab. I set the fronts (5100's) at 1.5" (middle setting) and got a 1" lift shackle for the rear and the 5100's. It's almost perfectly level now. If you leave the rear at the stock height, go for the 5125's (DSM will help you out there). Stock rear height and the middle setting in the front might make the front a little higher, but it all really depends on the condition of your springs, vehicle weight, etc...

good luck!
Old 01-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Taco Roja
Ohbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud of

Navy: 1987-1997
Name: Brian
Ohbrian's Tacoma Gallery
I have them set at 2.5 on the stock springs and the ride is not bad. I need new uca's though.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
sixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sixsixsix's Tacoma Gallery
As mentioned before, DSM has the Bilsteins cheaper with the coupon code. Go through the Vender Forum here on TW and look for the code from DSM. Some members re-use their stock coil, but many upgrade to Eibach or OME. I plan on using my stock coils as I only want to level my front with my stock rear height. The rear 5125 are not adjustable and will not give you a 1" lift over stock.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
Prerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud of

im thinking get them for the front and putting them on 2.5"
Old 01-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Jojack is on a distinguished road

Name: Joel
Jojack's Tacoma Gallery
Unless you have aal or tsb, you will sit obviously nose high. Measure from center of the wheel to fender at both front and back. That will give you an idea of what kind of lift is needed. Don't measure from the ground.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Tacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
Tacomadude89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have read some places that the 5125 for the rears are adjustable up to 1" is that true?
The rear shocks are not adjustable and longer rear shocks also do not provide any lift to the truck.

I would recommend if you're going to be using the stock springs and setting the 5100's to the 2.5" setting to run 1.5" AAL's as that will give you a slight rake in the rear like stock. It is a very common setup. Of course there are other options out there as well to lift the rear such as longer shackles or even full new leaf packs. If you do some searches, you'll find picture threads and everything with these types of applications.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #9

how much would aals be for my truck? and yeah i was thinkin bout it last night it may sit allitle front high but if you look at the picture in my sig you can see how much it sags compare to the rear but im willing to put aal in
Old 01-18-2012, 04:45 AM   #10
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsixsix View Post
As mentioned before, DSM has the Bilsteins cheaper with the coupon code. Go through the Vender Forum here on TW and look for the code from DSM. Some members re-use their stock coil, but many upgrade to Eibach or OME. I plan on using my stock coils as I only want to level my front with my stock rear height. The rear 5125 are not adjustable and will not give you a 1" lift over stock.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerunner2511 View Post
Hey im looking around at 5100s and i found a set of front and rears for $319 brand new. I thought that was reasonable. Do you have to replace the coilovers? I want to hear from people that have them and would you recommend them? I want them to level and lift my truck. I have read some places that the 5125 for the rears are adjustable up to 1" is that true? because im thinking of putting my fronts on 2.5" and rears at 1" how would that look? Ive got to thank yall for all the help ive got just in the short time that I have been a part of this site, all of my questions have always been answered and I appreciate it.

Thanks
AJ

2 misconceptions, the first one : Only the fronts are ride height adjustable

the rear shocks are not.. The 2nd one is: The addition of upgraded shocks (rears) aren't going to give you lift, its in regards to how much lift they will accomodate . The 5125's I run will accomodate 3" of rear lift....
Old 01-18-2012, 04:53 AM   #11
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
5100's and an AAL will suffice.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #12
magog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud of

magog45's Tacoma Gallery
I have 5100's all around with the fronts set at 1.75" and I had the leafs done at a local spring shop. It rides pretty good but still trucklike and no worries about extending brakelines or dropping the front diff.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:01 AM   #13
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
I would suggest just calling downsouth motorsports and talk to Marco or sonny or Neil and tell them what you want to do and they will set you up right.

With the age of your truck I would suggest new coils for the 5100s, but downsouth will tell you exactly what you need
Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
'02TRD will become famous soon enough

Name: Jason
'02TRD's Tacoma Gallery
call downsouthmotorsports and talk to Sonny. he will answer all your questions, as well as give you a discount if you tell him you are a member of tacomaworld forum