1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

installing new struts on my 98

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by toms98tacoma, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Nov 29, 2008 at 6:17 PM
    toms98tacoma

toms98tacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    4 x 4
    17" wheels added springs with 4 leafs
    Does anyone have a trick I don't know about? What kind of spring compressor do you need for the front struts?
    I just removed a strut and found myself in the emergecy room getting eight stiches in my hand.I'm real lucky I didn't lose a finger.
    Man those things are under some real tension.
    It appears that the spring compressor I rented from ADVANCED AUTO PARTS can't compress the springs the 3 plus inches needed.
    Now I've got a truck with one strut sitting in my garage and one hand to fix it with.
    HELP!!!!

2. Nov 29, 2008 at 6:27 PM
    bwhit

bwhit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Double Cab
    WOW, you are lucky...I'm not sure what kind of compressor they rented you but I went to autozone and got this
    spring7_be8b2717f132e4421a04e0b76583447f44653e74.jpg
    $50 to rent, 100% refunded upon return. Worked great for me on the 5100's. Some folks said the ones they got from autozone didn't work for them. I had a buddy helping so we were able to compress both sides at the same rate...worked out pretty well. note: the safety pins you see pictured did not fit around my springs, went ahead without them...scared the whole time but seemed pretty secure. Put the eye of the shock in a vice if you have access...makes working verticle much easier. If you don't feel comfortable with any of this save your limbs and possibly your life and pay a shop to switch them out, it's not worth your skin.

3. Nov 29, 2008 at 6:32 PM
    bwhit

bwhit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Double Cab
    this = DEATH....do not position your body in-line with the shock and spring under compression.
    [​IMG]

4. Nov 29, 2008 at 6:35 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Man - glad to hear that you weren't hurt worse! I bought a pair of compressors from OReillys when I was doing my lift and started getting nervous when the bolts started to bend. And I think it was just like the ones I would have rented from them. Glad I didn't keep going!

I ended up taking them to an auto shop to get compressed and the guy said it was REALLY hard to get them together. Said it was a bullet waiting to go off.

5. Nov 29, 2008 at 6:42 PM
    toms98tacoma

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    4 x 4
    Thanks for the info. BWIT.
    I removed the strut first then tried to use the spring compressor to reinstall.
    I may have placed them too far apart.
    The compressor is like the one you used.
    I've done alot of shocks but never did struts.
    I'll try again in the morning.

6. Nov 29, 2008 at 6:50 PM
    bwhit

bwhit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Double Cab
    Be safe man...those things are dangerous as you found out. It's not just the springs you have to look out for, if those compressors slip off together you got a missle flying around.

7. Nov 29, 2008 at 9:44 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    Did you unbolt the bottom A-arm from the spindle? Thats what I had to do to put in my Eibach springs. I used a spring compressor from O'Reillys, but also chained the spring to the frame so it wouldnt rocket off. It went really smoothly..

8. Nov 29, 2008 at 10:44 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yeah.....definitely be safe when you get back at it in the am man!!! glad to hear you werent hurt worse than you were.....................spring compressers care really mess ya up if you arent familiar with them or have never used them before.

9. Nov 30, 2008 at 6:52 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    USE this diagram!!

If you don't have the bolts lined up properly, you won't be able to put it back on the truck.
    [​IMG]

10. Nov 30, 2008 at 5:11 PM
    toms98tacoma

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    4 x 4
    I just finished the job,went Christmas shopping most of the day.
    I used a couple of crowbars and my wife to help gain the last inch of clearance and then hammered the lower bolt in.
    I've gained a new respect for the force on those springs.
    I really appreciate all the suggestions,they had me re-think the way I was doing things.
    I'll probably be posting again soon,I know enough about cars and trucks to be dangerous.My hand is real sore but appears to be healing.
    Thanks again.:proposetoast:
    Tom

Products Discussed in

To Top