Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lowering 01 Prerunner

Old 01-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
MightyProper is on a distinguished road

MightyProper's Tacoma Gallery
Lowering 01 Prerunner

So I have a single cab and was thinking about possibly lowering her a couple of inches to fill in wheel wells a bit more and give it more of a mini look.
Current setup: 5100 hundreds front and back, stock springs, stock leafs and 265/75/16s.

Ive been checking out this kit made by Tundra Racing that lowers 2" in the front and 3 - 4" in back.
http://tundraracing.com/prerunnerdropkit2.htm

Truck sees 95% street time and 5% offroad. Will I have any problems tucking my tires or will I have any rubbing/fitment problems? Any other concerns i should be worrying about?

Sooner or later going to go with some rebuildable c/o's up front and upper controls. Should I not waste my money on this kit? I assume nothing in that kit would be compatible with suspension upgrades.

Not sure if anyone has done this to their trucks, any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2012, 03:59 AM   #2
washed in the blood and wrapped in camoflauge!
Prerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud ofPrerunner2511 has much to be proud of

Name: A.J.
Prerunner2511's Tacoma Gallery
lowering a perfectly good Prerunner................ disgraceful
Unless you absolutley sport it out like graph in a 4runner scoop into your hood and put a nice ground effects package on it then it would look sweet but im not a lowered street truck guy
Old 01-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Guys come on just because it's not something you'd do doesn't mean it's wrong. When he means "lowering" he said himself just a couple of inches to fill the wheel gap. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that. It's not like he's putting airbags on the thing and trying to scrape the ground or something jeez. And if he doesn't rock crawl than what does it matter?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyProper View Post
Truck sees 95% street time and 5% offroad. Will I have any problems tucking my tires or will I have any rubbing/fitment problems? Any other concerns i should be worrying about?
Alright, here's what I would do if I were you. I would find guys who are running this kit, and see what size tires they have. Liekey they upgraded their wheels to 18s or 20's or something of that nature, so you'll have to use the tire calculator to see what the equivalent size is in 16. My gut feeling is that since you already have 1 size over stock (the 75's), that lowering the truck below factory height will lead to rubbing.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^Wow someone got their Internet panties in a wad lol.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
Guys come on just because it's not something you'd do doesn't mean it's wrong. When he means "lowering" he said himself just a couple of inches to fill the wheel gap. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that. It's not like he's putting airbags on the thing and trying to scrape the ground or something jeez. And if he doesn't rock crawl than what does it matter?
Quote:
Old 01-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
with the medication I took......not likely. Just stating facts, he asked for opinions, he got them...u took it upon urself to blame us for giving him said opinions.

Seems to me like u got worked up, trust me.....Im so mellow right now I could be entertained by staring at the wall.

hey look, its moving

Actually I wasn't even directing my post at you GENIUS. Here...SEE COMMENT BELOW. You fail at life.

Quote:
lowering a perfectly good Prerunner......... disgraceful
Old 01-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
lol do it you'll get better gas mileage.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
No you just didn't read since you were too busy trying to save the day in the thread.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
No you just didn't read since you were too busy trying to save the day in the thread.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerunner2511 View Post
lowering a perfectly good Prerunner................ disgraceful
Unless you absolutley sport it out like graph in a 4runner scoop into your hood and put a nice ground effects package on it then it would look sweet but im not a lowered street truck guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave
I don't know how else to say or explain it so let me break it down into elementary terms for you. If you read my post I quoted above (4 spaces above), no where in does it relate to anything you were saying when you wrote about saving money or having to go back up.

No I didn't quote the person I was directing my comments to, but I just thought maybe just maybe you would use the laws of relation and common sense to see that my posts had absolutely NOTHING to do with yours. I was talking about the guy who said it was a disgrace and how it wasn't wrong just because it wasn't his "style." I didn't in any of post talk about saving money. Then you came on PMSing like a woman about a comment that wasn't even directed to you lol?

Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
I say drop it
Old 01-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #14

One more....

Old 01-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #15
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Edit: I'm out un sub
Old 01-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #16
Feet in the water...
Silver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Silver02Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Silver02Taco Send a message via AIM to Silver02Taco Send a message via MSN to Silver02Taco Send a message via Yahoo to Silver02Taco
What is this??? R6L???

Old 01-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I think this is appropriate

OP, I say don't waste your money if you're just going to lift it later.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #18
Feet in the water...
Silver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Silver02Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Silver02Taco Send a message via AIM to Silver02Taco Send a message via MSN to Silver02Taco Send a message via Yahoo to Silver02Taco
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I think this is appropriate
Old 01-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #19
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyProper View Post
So I have a single cab and was thinking about possibly lowering her a couple of inches to fill in wheel wells a bit more and give it more of a mini look.
Current setup: 5100 hundreds front and back, stock springs, stock leafs and 265/75/16s.

Ive been checking out this kit made by Tundra Racing that lowers 2" in the front and 3 - 4" in back.
http://tundraracing.com/prerunnerdropkit2.htm

Sooner or later going to go with some rebuildable c/o's up front and upper controls. Should I not waste my money on this kit? I assume nothing in that kit would be compatible with suspension upgrades.

Not sure if anyone has done this to their trucks, any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
Your tires will rub like crazy if you lower it AT ALL. I run 265/75's (same tires you have), and when I had the stock height (I also run the 5100's), they rubbed. Lowering it will make it even worse.

Why would you lower it, if you're just going to to put coil-overs and other suspension mods (presumably to lift it/off-road it) on it later?

In a word, YES, it will be a waste of money.

In another word, YES, lowering it will "fill" the fenderwells, but to the point you won't have any suspension travel or turning withOUT massive rubbing.

If you want the mini "look", get a 5-lug...
Old 01-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #20
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Actually I wasn't even directing my post at you GENIUS. Here...SEE COMMENT BELOW. You fail at life.

Maybe next time you'll actually quote the post you're referring to, instead of making a general comment referring to "guys" (plural).