Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

tranny slipping?

Old 01-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
96yoter is on a distinguished road
Name: raylee
96yoter's Tacoma Gallery
tranny slipping?

Hey guys I have a question I have had some signs of slipping from the tranny it only happens when I come to a stop and start to accel again its like it starts out in second gear keep in mind its an auto but it goes away if I pop it in neutral and back in to drive it happens about one or two times a day anyone know what it could be? Should I put stop slip in it or what? Am I gonna have to replace the whole tranny? HELP me haha thanks
Old 01-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
He... she... ummm, it should get better shoes

Sorry, I don't have anything technical to offer.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Common Sense Ninja
thatSchusterguy is on a distinguished road
thatSchusterguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
He... she... ummm, it should get better shoes

Sorry, I don't have anything technical to offer.
Beat me to it!

OP have you ever had it flushed? Try dumping the old crap out and putting some new tranny juice in there. I'm sure a bottle of stop slip couldn't really hurt things at this point.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Try the flush, pay who ever does the flush to pull the pan and clean the screen, if that doesn't cure it the additive is a waste of more money.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
How many miles are on it? I wouldn't flush it if it hasn't been flushed regularly. Drain and fill it multiple times over the course of 15-20k miles and drop the pan and clean the screens. That seems to be the procedure for high mileage auto trans.

Also, when you say it seems like your starting in second gear, that sounds to me like the revs are so low that it's chugging along trying not to stall. That's what I would imagine would occur if one tries to start out in 2nd gear on a manual tran. But that isn't much like slipping. So it's a little hard to diagnose through the comp.

I'll say that sometimes when i'm coming to a stop and then get back on the gas i get this sensation through the foot pedal like the truck is spooling up and then suddenly engaging with a slight thud at a high RPM than it should. But greasing the drive shafts, namely the slip yokes, seems to get rid of most of that sensation. So maybe try greasing your drive shaft? there might be some play in there.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
96yoter is on a distinguished road
Name: raylee
96yoter's Tacoma Gallery
it seems like its just not downshifting it has done it all day today its pissing me off