Notices

200K+ Repairs and Advice ???

Old 01-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Cichlidgeek is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Cichlidgeek's Tacoma Gallery
Question 200K+ Repairs and Advice ???

Hey all,
I am brand new to the forum, and this is my first post so please go easy on me!

I have a 2002 Tacoma 4x4 V6 that I bought new in Oct of 2002. The truck has served me almost flawlessly with the exception of an oil sludge problem @ 44K that required the engine to be completely rebuilt. Since the rebuild, I have used only Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic motor oil every 5 to 10K miles (also use a Mobil 1 oil filter) and I am not kidding that the engine runs better now than it did off the showroom floor.

The reason for my joining the forum is for some advice. I have not been as good to my truck as my truck has been to me, and my truck is starting to show its age and wear after 10 years of relentless abuse. I have been very hard on it, I will not lie.

Tomorrow I am having all four tires replaced with BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A, which is what my truck came with originally. This is only the second time in the truck's history that I have replaced the tires. That is pretty damn amazing to me actually since it now has 217K on it!!!!

My biggest problem now, though, is that my check engine light is on and has been on for years. I cannot pass inspection, and I have replaced two of the O2 sensors, yet the diagnostic test is saying that the problem is the O2 sensors!! Any advice on this?

Problem two is that I have a repeatedly sticking emergency brake. It still works, but the thing is so loose that the light remains on even when the EB is disengaged. Any advice on this??

I have a lot of questions and my truck needs some serious repairs to its mechanics and overall appearance, but this should get me started.

Thank you kindly in advance for any advice that can be offered.

--Brian
Old 01-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
MMyota is on a distinguished road

Army: 1-15 INF 3ID
Name: Brandon
MMyota's Tacoma Gallery
do you have an exhaust leak? could be a cause for o2 sensor code. you can adjust the ebrake if its loose the bracket is located by the transfercase on the frame. You loosen the nuts and twist it till your ebrake has 12-18 clicks.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #3

MMyota's Tacoma Gallery
I have 203k on mine. You didnt list what you have done to it as far as maintenance so ill list what i did to mine. Replace water pump, timing belt, all serpentine belts, spark plugs and wires, flush coolant system, flush power steering fluid, need to inspect rack and pinion bushings replace if necessary, inspect upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods replace if needed. I replaced my pcv and fuel filter. Inspect brake lines for cracks and wear. Drain and fill t-case fluid, front and rear diff fluid, transmission fluid. There that should keep you busy for awhile.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you are in the RTF mode...

I would have a muffler shop inspect the exhaust system for leaks, then look for a burned piece of 02 sensor wiring.

Howard
Old 01-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlidgeek View Post
My biggest problem now, though, is that my check engine light is on and has been on for years. I cannot pass inspection, and I have replaced two of the O2 sensors, yet the diagnostic test is saying that the problem is the O2 sensors!! Any advice on this?
I have no idea what the regulation is on emissions where you live, but if it's anything like my county, you're wasting your money on replacing emissions-related parts if you're not having the work done by a certified shop.

Explanation: in my county if you fail emissions and take it to a certified emissions shop and have at least $150 in repairs done, it doesn't matter if you fail the second time. If you pass, great. If you fail again, you get a waiver for having spent at least $150 towards repairs at a certified shop.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMyota View Post
do you have an exhaust leak? could be a cause for o2 sensor code. you can adjust the ebrake if its loose the bracket is located by the transfercase on the frame. You loosen the nuts and twist it till your ebrake has 12-18 clicks.
Quote:
I have 203k on mine. You didnt list what you have done to it as far as maintenance so ill list what i did to mine. Replace water pump, timing belt, all serpentine belts, spark plugs and wires, flush coolant system, flush power steering fluid, need to inspect rack and pinion bushings replace if necessary, inspect upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods replace if needed. I replaced my pcv and fuel filter. Inspect brake lines for cracks and wear. Drain and fill t-case fluid, front and rear diff fluid, transmission fluid. There that should keep you busy for awhile.
MMyota,
Yes, I do have at least two exhaust leaks. Both are around the junctions of where the pipes are bolted together.
Thank you very much for the e-brake explanation. I will tackle that tomorrow!!
You're right, I didn't list what I have had done so far. Since having it from new I have a list of all that I have done and will list it at the bottom of this reply. Also, thanks for listing what you have done, as that gives me a good starting point on my revitalization project.
Thanks again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
Sounds like you are in the RTF mode...
I would have a muffler shop inspect the exhaust system for leaks, then look for a burned piece of 02 sensor wiring.
Howard
Howard,
Thanks for your response. What is RTF mode???
While doing the e-brake fix tomorrow I will check out the O2 wiring.
Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettBretterson View Post
I have no idea what the regulation is on emissions where you live, but if it's anything like my county, you're wasting your money on replacing emissions-related parts if you're not having the work done by a certified shop.
Explanation: in my county if you fail emissions and take it to a certified emissions shop and have at least $150 in repairs done, it doesn't matter if you fail the second time. If you pass, great. If you fail again, you get a waiver for having spent at least $150 towards repairs at a certified shop.
Thanks Brett,
In NJ we have a state-wide inspection requirement. So, we don't actually go by county. And, we don't have the money-spent provision in the law, but that would make sense.....which is why NJ doesn't do it
Thanks again!

What I have done on the truck since 2002:

1. Engine rebuild @ 44K due to engine sludge
2. Front brake pads one time
3. Tires now done only two times (back to OEM BF Goodrich as of yesterday)
4. Full tune-up (two times)
5. Loads of oil changes (only Mobil 1 5w30 since 44K)
6. Muffler
7. Light bulbs here and there
8. Windshield wipers every once in a while (yearly or so)
9. Two O2 sensors (check engine light is still on!!)
10. Engine flush @ first factory tune up

Other than that, nothing really to mention that would be anywhere close to major. I guess I have been pretty fortunate.

Couple more questions:
1. Can I get my manual transmission flushed out?
2. I have my factory original rear brakes, do you think they should be changed simply due to age??
3. I also have my factory original front rotors, change them as well now due to age???
4. Based on what is mentioned above, what should my very next fix be if I am looking to get 300K out of the engine and drive train????

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the help and advice.
Cheers,
--Brian

PS------
While I am at it, how do you guys feel about Toyota-Parts-Dealer.com (http://www.toyota-parts-dealer.com/)?????
Old 01-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #7

MMyota's Tacoma Gallery
well the exhaust leak is the reason for your o2 sensor code i had a leak and it was giving me codes. you cant exactly flush a manual tranny but it has a drain plug (passenger side i believe) and a fill plug on the opposite side. Fill with whatever gear oil you like i used 75-90w synthetic in my tranny, tcase, and f/r diffs. I would probably change those brakes if i was you also i would check the u-joints and regrease them and wheel bearings.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
Law Enforcement:
Question

Quote:
well the exhaust leak is the reason for your o2 sensor code i had a leak and it was giving me codes. you cant exactly flush a manual tranny but it has a drain plug (passenger side i believe) and a fill plug on the opposite side. Fill with whatever gear oil you like i used 75-90w synthetic in my tranny, tcase, and f/r diffs. I would probably change those brakes if i was you also i would check the u-joints and regrease them and wheel bearings.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I will add the drain/fill to my to-do list. Can you give me an idea of how much gear oil it will take?
Old 01-22-2012, 03:55 AM   #9
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
RTF = Run Till Failure
Old 01-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
RTF = Run Till Failure
Ahhh.....got it. Yes, I would say that I was in RTF mode until about a week ago when I suddenly woke up and realized that I need this thing to last me another year or maybe two!!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #11

MMyota's Tacoma Gallery
Here you go should tell you everything:
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=80
Old 01-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Here you go should tell you everything:
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=80
MMyota,
Thank you very much! That explains everything that I was wondering about. When I changed out my transfer case oil today I was expecting 3 qts to come out....or to go in, rather, but was concerned when only a little more than a quart was needed to fill it up (about the same amount came out, too). According to the chart the TC only takes 1.1 qts. Makes sense now.

On another note, I dissected my e-brake system today....and learned a lot thanks to you. My problem is that my p-side e-brake caliper is completely seized up in the engaged position, which is why (I think) the light is staying on when I try to disengage the e-brake.
Any advice on how to fix that????

Thanks again!!
--Brian
Old 01-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
Law Enforcement:
Exclamation

That was a huge help! Thanks for the links. Now my e-brake has been lubed up and snaps right into position like it did the way it came from the factory. No more annoying light!!
Thanks again!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #15
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I like the maintenance charts off custom tacos...I printed off the capacity pages and they are getting posted in the shop...

Howard
Old 01-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #16

MMyota's Tacoma Gallery
no problem glad to help