Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD radiator cap

Old 01-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #1
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
TRD radiator cap

Do they really even help at all? i'm looking at 21.3 PSI vs 18.5 PSI. They claim it helps raise the boiling point of coolant. Is lower or higher PSI better when it comes to the caps?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not saying this is going to affect anything to do with the efficiency of the cooling system, but scientifically, higher pressure does increase the effective boiling point of a liquid.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
I'm not saying this is going to affect anything to do with the efficiency of the cooling system, but scientifically, higher pressure does increase the effective boiling point of a liquid.
So 21.3 PSI should have a high point than 18.5 psi...its weird because 18.5 costs more.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
Name: Josh
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
It is not like you are ganna get close to the boiling point. Unless ur driving down the interstate in 3rd gear with rpms at 5 grand.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
x2. Higher pressure = higher boiling point. As long as you're not running water-diluted coolant, you shouldn't come close to boiling your coolant. What's the benefit of the higher boiling point?
Old 01-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #8

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Eh I just like the thought of having higher pressure being that i do alot of interstate driving between job sites in the summer time in florida. temperature can get 95F
Old 01-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat View Post
Eh I just like the thought of having higher pressure being that i do alot of interstate driving between job sites in the summer time in florida. temperature can get 95F
Unless you're towing, I wouldn't worry about. At highway speed, the engine will say cool.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #10
jeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jeremy_283's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure if it will apply to this but on my KLR650 I have a Thermo-Bob installed which has basically modified the cooling system in multiple ways. One of which is to increase the temperature of the thermostat because I have read online that the stock thermostat opens to soon (low heat range 160-170 degrees) and causes fluctuations in the engine temperature which can "supposedly" cause cylinders to go out-of-round and create oil burning issues. That being said oil burning is a pretty severe problem with the KLR in it's factory form and a 685cc kit is recommended which is what I have. I have also installed a Thermo-Bob as well.

To read a review of the Thermo-Bob look here
http://www.klrworld.com/index.php?op...193&Itemid=286
Old 01-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
x2. Higher pressure = higher boiling point. As long as you're not running water-diluted coolant, you shouldn't come close to boiling your coolant. What's the benefit of the higher boiling point?
Water actually has better heat transfer than coolant. When I had my Turbocharged 2.5L Sentra I ran straight distilled water with Redline water wetter. The only good thing about coolant is that it won't freeze...
Old 01-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
Water actually has better heat transfer than coolant. When I had my Turbocharged 2.5L Sentra I ran straight distilled water with Redline water wetter. The only good thing about coolant is that it won't freeze...
There's a lot more to it than that. Water absorbs heat slower than straight coolant so it takes a longer time to get water to it's boiling point but straight coolant has a higher boiling point. If running a straight coolant system, you'd need to increase the flow rate so it doesn't boil when passing through the engine. On the flip side, when going through the radiator, water will shed heat slower than straight coolant also. There's more advantages to running coolant/water mixtures than just the lower freezing point.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
The rumors are true, they DO exist, I've only seen one on this forum.....mine..

dont know if it helps but theres a "15" on the right side of cap.. psi ??

Old 01-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
Tennessee01Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Jerry
Tennessee01Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
It's actually 1.5 bar which is 21.75 Psi stock is 13 Psi or .9 bar now you know lol
Old 08-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #15
aportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of light
EMS:
Name: Austin
aportis72's Tacoma Gallery
No its not Bar its kg/cm this equals 18.5 same as stock. You can get a 21.3 TRD one
Old 08-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #16
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
I think that's measured in atmospheres.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #17
aportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of light
EMS:
Name: Austin
aportis72's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought one it's says kg/cm right in the pakage
Old 08-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #18
Go BIG or Go HOME
Buell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud of

Name: Michael
Buell's Tacoma Gallery
Mine says 1.3, what does that mean?
Old 08-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #20
"You've Got Red on You"
SRQ TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedSRQ TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedSRQ TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedSRQ TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedSRQ TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedSRQ TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedSRQ TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedSRQ TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedSRQ TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedSRQ TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedSRQ TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Damon
SRQ TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RedTaco View Post
I also run the Redline Water Wetter in my truck and it stays just below the middle point on the temp gauge. I recommend that stuff to anybody!