Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Why is this belt squeeking

Old 01-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
YotaNegro is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
YotaNegro's Tacoma Gallery
Why is this belt squeeking

So I have a squeeking belt issue. It used to squeek for a few seconds on start up and when turning the steering wheel all the way to either side. I could also make it squeek if I jerked the wheel fast. I tightened the power steering belt and the turning issue went away but now it's worse on start ups. Any ideas?
Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
Name: Josh
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
Does it get hard to turn the steering wheel like you are loosing ur power steeering? If so there is a screen inside the powersteering pump resevoir that sometimes gets clogged up. This causes a whine sometimes and aleways makes ur belts slide on the power steering pump's pully. Thus loss of power steering.

Also your belt could be old or have oil or some type of fluid that got on it, causing it to slip.
Hope this helps
Old 01-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
When's the last time you changed your belts?

Could also be moisture on the belts if it only does it during startup.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has always squeeked on startup after rain, or a really moist night(Fog). Goes away and all is fine. Belt is in good condition...

Just one of those things
Old 01-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
If its an indivual belt and its squeeking its loose and needs to be tightened, could have some grease on it too, be my guess
Old 01-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
I had a Dodge Caravan once whose power steering pump would drift on its mount after a couple of years, causing the belt pulley to be misaligned. First the belt would squeal, then the sidepull becomes too much and the belt starts tearing. Inspect the power steering pump and see if it can be adjusted for better alignment.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
you have to take apart the pump. i will have to take apart my powe steering pump and show u. i have a spair that i am taking apart
Old 01-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by goomba View Post
you have to take apart the pump. i will have to take apart my powe steering pump and show u. i have a spair that i am taking apart
post pics

Mine pump is working fine and is kinda whiney.

I did a full fluid flush and replaced it with the proper Dex ATF like it calls for (it had PS fluid in it from PO) And it help a lot...but still kinda noisy.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
Here we go

It is easyer if u take the pump off, but u can do it with the pump on.

Take out the three screws. sorry seccond pic is blury

Pri the top off

Then u can c the screen. Mine is dirty... So u fill it up a little with GAS NOTHING ELSE. Then shake it up and down to make the gas go through the screen then poor the dirty gas out the top of the reservoir. do this till it is clean enough so you can see through it.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
YotaNegro is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
YotaNegro's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help, the belt looks like its in good condition but I will try replacing it and see how it goes.