Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

5100'S questions

Old 01-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
takamineman is on a distinguished road
Name: greg
takamineman's Tacoma Gallery
5100'S questions

I have a 2003 double cab 4x4, and i know alot of yall have these shocks, but I have a couple of questions. I have searched and searched and can't find any direct answers, so here goes:
1. At max height, will they do any damage to stock steering/suspension
components?
2. Will they alter the way my truck rides? It rides rough enough as it is,
So I surely don't want to make it worse!
3. Will I have to replace wheels and tires? I have 275/65/16 Dueler's
now.
4. Will it give enough height to be somewhat noticeable without looking
"jacked up" like the old school 80's lifts?

Again, please excuse my ignorance. Any help will be appreciated!
Old 01-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by takamineman View Post
I have a 2003 double cab 4x4, and i know alot of yall have these shocks, but I have a couple of questions. I have searched and searched and can't find any direct answers, so here goes:
components? With stock springs you will get 2.5'' of lift...no damage to worry about
So I surely don't want to make it worse! With the 5100's only, and on a preload (lift) setting, the ride quality may or may not be rougher...but depending on the current setup of your truck (how worn your shocks are) You may even notice an improvment
now. No you will not have to replace your tires.
"jacked up" like the old school 80's lifts? You will only be lifting 2.5'' in the front with just the bils on the top notch. Will look good, not "jacked up"

Keep in mind only the front 5100's will provide lift. The rear 5100's are only longer to accommodate an AAL or a longer shackle.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
components?
So I surely don't want to make it worse!
now.
"jacked up" like the old school 80's lifts?

1- It's generally accepted that 2.5" will not damage your suspension per se, but any lift increases your chances of breaking something.

2- adding that much pre-load to your coils may cause the ride to be a little stiffer, and you will lose travel. Have you considered coils?

3- Lifts in no way affect wheels and tires- it's entirely up to you.

4- yes, at 2.5 inches up front, your truck will be noticeably leveled.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
beat me
yup

also OP, keep in mind if you are leaving the rear stock, 5100 rear shocks are not good for stock length. You will need 5125's at the correct length. (that is if you are replacing your rear shocks)
Old 01-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
defleppardsg is on a distinguished road
Name: chris
defleppardsg's Tacoma Gallery
It's pretty likely that you're going to wind up with the front noticeable higher than the rear if you do 2.5 up front, and leave the rear stock height. I know that 2.5 is supposed to be a "leveling kit," but most stock tacoma's that I see definitely do not have that much rake. I know that I didn't.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Feet in the water...
Silver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Silver02Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Silver02Taco Send a message via AIM to Silver02Taco Send a message via MSN to Silver02Taco Send a message via Yahoo to Silver02Taco
I have a 2002 Xtra-Cab 4WD and I went with 5100's @ 2.5" in Front on the stock springs, and 5125's in the Rear, no lift. Tires are currently BFG Rugged Trail 265/70/16.

The ride (as compared to when I got it with toasted factory Bilsteins) is much improved over stock, however the rear is much stiffer than it was. I am told that after time it will soften up a bit.

I'm really happy with the way the truck handles/rides, although I'm going to be losing the rugged fails pretty soon and getting either some BFG AT/KO's or KM2's in a 275/75/16 (AT/KO's) or 265/75/16 (KM2).

The truck is completely level, BTW. I hope that helps.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
I'm sorry...I meant I've got 265/75/16...not 275/65/16
not that really makes a difference.
The main thing I want out of the looks department is for the fender wells to be up off the tires a little bit. As it is now, you can't really even tell it's a 4wd unless you look under the truck lol!
I know spacers are cheaper but by reading all yall's posts it doesn't seem like that's the way to go because it seems ride quality is sacrificed...and I really don't want that!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #9

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm sorry...I meant I've got 265/75/16...not 275/65/16
not that really makes a difference.
The main thing I want out of the looks department is for the fender wells to be up off the tires a little bit. As it is now, you can't really even tell it's a 4wd unless you look under the truck lol!
I know spacers are cheaper but by reading all yall's posts it doesn't seem like that's the way to go because it seems ride quality is sacrificed...and I really don't want that!
Spacers suck.

Get the front 5100's and set them at 2.5''.

If its too front high (AKA...bro lean) Either get an AAL or a longer shackle for the rear, or put the front bill to the second notch (IIRC its 1-1.5'')

I think the setup that will work well for you is the front bils set at 2.5, and a shackle for the rear for like 1''. (daystar makes a 1.25'' rear shackle)
Old 01-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
Feet in the water...
Silver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via ICQ to Silver02Taco Send a message via AIM to Silver02Taco Send a message via MSN to Silver02Taco Send a message via Yahoo to Silver02Taco
Before 5100/5125:

After 5100/5125:
Old 01-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #11

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver02Taco View Post
Before 5100/5125:

After 5100/5125:
So thats 5100's at 2.5 on the front w/ no lift in the rear w/ 5125's?

Looks great!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
Feet in the water...

Yep! And thanks!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
Tacoma 4 Life.
chaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chase
chaz834's Tacoma Gallery
This is what mine looked like with the 265 with bilsteins set at 0 and a 3in coil much much better ride then the spacers I had up front..

Old 01-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #14

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz834 View Post
This is what mine looked like with the 265 with bilsteins set at 0 and a 3in coil much much better ride then the spacers I had up front..

That looks good
Old 01-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #15
Tacoma 4 Life.
chaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchaz834 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chase
chaz834's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
That looks good
Thanks man it looks allot better now that I have 285/75/16s Toyo MTs.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #16
Yall's trucks look great! So i looked at truckspring.com and it appears that the adjustables are a smidge over 200.00 each. Is there any way to know how high the non-adjustables lift? They are alot less expensive and apparently have the same ride quality. they're around 87 bucks.
Rancho used to be the 4x4 shock of choice...what happened there?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #17
Feet in the water...

I have no idea what you're talking about OP, but here's what I got:

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-96...djustable.html

And non-adjustables are just that... Non-Adjustable.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #18
sixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shedsixsixsix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sixsixsix's Tacoma Gallery
The 5100's are cheaper here. Plus there's a coupon code for more saving! woot!

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...djustable.html
Old 01-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #19
I was wondering if the non's gave any lift or if they left it at stock ride height.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver02Taco View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about OP, but here's what I got:

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-96...djustable.html

And non-adjustables are just that... Non-Adjustable.