Notices

Wheel Spacers and Damage

Old 01-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
kwright47 is on a distinguished road
Name: Kyle
kwright47's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel Spacers and Damage

2 Questions!

1. Will putting wheel spacers on my 1999 prerunner with stock size wheels (31'') cause any damage to other components or even rub? I have Bilstein 5100 on the front.

2. Can I put wheel spacers only on the fronts?

As of right now I am very interested in the Spidertrax Wheel Spacers.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwright47 View Post
2 Questions!

1. Will putting wheel spacers on my 1999 prerunner with stock size wheels (31'') cause any damage to other components or even rub? I have Bilstein 5100 on the front.

2. Can I put wheel spacers only on the fronts?

As of right now I am very interested in the Spidertrax Wheel Spacers.
1. If they are the right type of spacers that have their own lug studs (like spidertrax) you will likely have no issues.

2. Yeah, but IMO it would look funny unless you did it to all four wheels.

The ones that are bad are the kind (like 1/4'' spacers) that use up space on the original lug studs and allow less threads to hold on the rim/tire.

Lots of members run spidertrax and love them.

IIRC, blackdawg on here has a set for sale.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
PELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed
PELLEY's Tacoma Gallery
I had 1.25" All-Pro wheel spacers on my 02, just in the front. So yes, you can put them just in the front. I had very very little rubbing. Nothing to be concerned about or anything like that. I ran them with Icons and UCA's, so I had more wheel travel than you, and almost no issue. I say do it and don't worry about it. Just make sure you tighten the crap out of the lugs on both the spacers. When you think it's too tight, your almost there... I used an air impact on max, then hit with a braker bar that had a cheater bar on there as well... Also make sure you spend the extra on hub-centric spacers, that way you don't get any wobble from the front end.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
E-Fabber
Anthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
Anthony250's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
1. If they are the right type of spacers that have their own lug studs (like spidertrax) you will likely have no issues.

2. Yeah, but IMO it would look funny unless you did it to all four wheels.

The ones that are bad are the kind (like 1/4'' spacers) that use up space on the original lug studs and allow less threads to hold on the rim/tire.

Lots of members run spidertrax and love them.

IIRC, blackdawg on here has a set for sale.

1/4" spacers are not bad, unless you run extended studs. Which i have done.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
magog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud of

magog45's Tacoma Gallery
Only issue with spacers is that they move the load on the front bearings outward from what they were designed for but I haven't really heard of anyone that could attribute a bad bearing to the spacers.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
I run spidertrax in the front and beat on my truck, they have held up fine. I torqued them to 100 or so, whatever spidertrax told me to torque them to
Old 01-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Project.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Project.paradigm's Tacoma Gallery
Torque the spacers after the first 100 miles and the wheels another 100 after that. Proper torque specs on wheels and spacers is very important.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
No worries about spacers here man. I ran Allpro 1.5'' ones for a while and will keep running em once i get some bushwackers.

If installed correctly there will be no issues.

I ran then wim 31'' tires and it made it look way way better.

Just keep an eye on the torque but mine never budged.

Also GET EXTENDED THREAD LUGS!! You will be VERY happy you did especially for the fronts.

Pics:

Pre lift and spacers

Lift

Spacers on Driver side..

No spacers Pass side..

Lift and spacers
Old 01-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
Tacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
Tacomadude89's Tacoma Gallery
As mentioned,

the ones that actually bolt on are the ones you want, not the type that are a ring and simply slide on.

Also, make sure you buy from a reputable company such as Spidertrax or All-Pro and NOT the Ebay cast ones. When it comes to something like these, you don't want to cheap out in this despartment and take your chances.

I have a little over 10K now on my Spidertrax spacers and love them. Haven't had one problem with them or anything of the sort. Make sure they are installed correctly with Loctite on the threads, re-torque after a 100 miles and from there on periodically check the tightness.

The only downfall for me is that the tires sling everything onto the truck. After a drive in the rain, it immediately gets it dirty to the point where it's like I driven a week already in it. It's definitely a trade off, but something I've learned to accept and live with.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
Wyoming Wind Rider
Duff is on a distinguished road
Name: Bradey
Duff's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought some 1 inch tough country spacers, so i have a bit more turning room for my 285's. havent put them on yet... but i heard you can use blue Lock Tight on the spacers themselves and torque the crap out of them and you dont have to worry about retorqueing them. (any truth to that???) but be sure you torque your wheels, after 50 miles to be safe if you do alot of highway driving (i.e. more vibration).
Old 01-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
Tacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
Just bought some 1 inch tough country spacers, so i have a bit more turning room for my 285's. havent put them on yet... but i heard you can use blue Lock Tight on the spacers themselves and torque the crap out of them and you dont have to worry about retorqueing them. (any truth to that???) but be sure you torque your wheels, after 50 miles to be safe if you do alot of highway driving (i.e. more vibration).
Regarding the type of Loctite, it probably doesn't doesn't really matter which color you use. Spidertrax included red loctite which is for more permanent applications.

It's good a thing to check the tightness every so often. I have not ever encountered any of mine to be loose, BUT, it is just a wise thing to do on a occasion because well, the results could be catastrophic if one did let loose and potentially came off. Just one of those things you want to air more on the safe side if you know what I mean.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #13
ethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of light

Air Force: 314MXG
Name: ethan
ethanfoy's Tacoma Gallery
im not trying to jack your thread but my tire already rub will it help if i put spacers on
Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanfoy View Post
im not trying to jack your thread but my tire already rub will it help if i put spacers on
Where is it rubbing? If it's the frame, then yes it'll aleviate that but it may end up rubbing the pinchweld area in return, so you'll have to do some clearencing there. This isn't a huge deal to do though.

If it's not rubbing the frame at all and is rubbing the inner fender plastics/fender flare/pinchweld instead, then yes, it'll make it even worse because it's spacing the tire out further which in return ends up making the rubbing worse in this area. It's a little hard to explain the geometry of it and why the tire ends up rubbing more in that area when it is spaced out further, but that is what happens.

In any case, if you do end up going with the spacers, expect to do the pinchweld mod and some trimming of the inner fender plastics.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
ethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of light

Air Force: 314MXG
Name: ethan
ethanfoy's Tacoma Gallery
yes its on the inner plastic. i understand now that it is explained they are just 265/75/16 i didnt think they would rub any but thanks
Old 01-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #17
darioc is on a distinguished road
darioc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Yea spacer won't help that. Get a cutting tool out

here is my 33x12.5s with my spacers back on.
What lift are you on?
Old 01-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
HammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant future

Name: Jake
HammerHead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea spacer won't help that. Get a cutting tool out

here is my 33x12.5s with my spacers back on.

Dude, love your Taco...but especially love your garage! Damn! You could park several Taco's and a C130 in there.

Glad the OP asked this question because I definitely have Spyders in my future. So, guess its safe to say you need to check the torque on both the Spyder's and the tires every 10k, just to be on the safe side.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #19
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by darioc View Post
What lift are you on?
Just a lift. I just got all the parts. Not really a kit

Front:

Billy 5100s set at 0" with Eibach Toyotech coils

Rear:

Wheelers 5 pack leafs(Alans)
Wheelers AAL
Toyotech 1.5'' shackles
10'' Billy 5150s

about 3+'' front
4.5'' in the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Dude, love your Taco...but especially love your garage! Damn! You could park several Taco's and a C130 in there.

Glad the OP asked this question because I definitely have Spyders in my future. So, guess its safe to say you need to check the torque on both the Spyder's and the tires every 10k, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks man.

And thats actually not my shop i just get to work there its my friends and we can it the "car shop" lol Its where he works on his 600hp 72 Boss 351 stand, 71 Fairlane(7.0l V8! and an Auto! VERY rare) Plus there are two boats in there lol AND we walled off the back for rental storage. My supra will live here once i get the motor done too.

As for spacers, Its spidertraxx or Allpro. Both are great. And yes its a great idea to check the torque regularly. Also get the extend thread lugs!!! Especially for the fronts!! Just as important to me.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #20
TernePR is on a distinguished road
TernePR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just a lift. I just got all the parts. Not really a kit

Front:

Billy 5100s set at 0" with Eibach Toyotech coils

Rear:

Wheelers 5 pack leafs(Alans)
Wheelers AAL
Toyotech 1.5'' shackles
10'' Billy 5150s

about 3+'' front
4.5'' in the back

Thanks man.

And thats actually not my shop i just get to work there its my friends and we can it the "car shop" lol Its where he works on his 600hp 72 Boss 351 stand, 71 Fairlane(7.0l V8! and an Auto! VERY rare) Plus there are two boats in there lol AND we walled off the back for rental storage. My supra will live here once i get the motor done too.

As for spacers, Its spidertraxx or Allpro. Both are great. And yes its a great idea to check the torque regularly. Also get the extend thread lugs!!! Especially for the fronts!! Just as important to me.
WHAT NUMBER IS THE SPACER?1.25,1.5 or 2.0?