Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need some help!, can't get crank pulley off

Old 01-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
biggecko is on a distinguished road
Name: Tarek
biggecko's Tacoma Gallery
Need some help!, can't get crank pulley off

Sp I am in the middle of doing my timing job and I can't get the damn crak pulley off, I got the crank bolt off with less trouble than expected but now I can't PUll the pulley off
Old 01-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
I think you need a puller to get it off...
Old 01-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
Ugh really?
Old 01-21-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
yeah; dont take my word for it...but if feels like you should need a puller.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
Ugh , anybody do this themselves without a puller?
Old 01-21-2012, 03:29 AM   #6
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggecko View Post
Ugh , anybody do this themselves without a puller?

If you can get something behind the pulley (you should be able to) Cut a couple wedges (like a 2x4 somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 degree angle & wedge them in there & start tapping it aggressively (but dont beat the shit out of it) with a hammer, alternating from wedge to wedge until it pops off , prolly rhe best low impact way of getting it off...
Old 01-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Buy puller from Harbor freight I wouldn't take a chance on breaking something, that puller is cheaper than a new pulley or what ever would crack from prying on it.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
Can't use the wedge technique because all that is behind it is thin plastic cover , I'm think bout goin to o Riley's and seeing if their loan a tool service has a puller
Old 01-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
You don't "need" a puller. There's nothing holding it on except years of grease and shit. I just hit mine with a deadblow a few times and it popped loose.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
You don't "need" a puller. There's nothing holding it on except years of grease and shit. I just hit mine with a deadblow a few times and it popped loose.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This, most people have problems getting the pulley bolt loose.. but thats an easy fix too
Old 07-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
dlehmkuhl is on a distinguished road
Name: D
dlehmkuhl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ditto on that. You don't need to wail the living piss out of it, but I used the same method, alternating around the pulley. If you improperly use a jaw style puller, you take the risk of bending the rim of the pulley, which is inherently bad my friend. Deadblow.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #12
takamineman is on a distinguished road
Name: greg
takamineman's Tacoma Gallery
x2

Quote:
Deadblow is the way to go here. A few whacks was all it needed.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x4, used a rubber mallet on mine and hit a few times and it comes right off. It can be a little stubborn with built up crap but once it pops loose it slides off pretty easy