Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Apply fluid film or let the dealer spray the frame?

Old 01-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
rll131
rll131 is on a distinguished road
Name: raymond
rll131's Tacoma Gallery
Apply fluid film or let the dealer spray the frame?

Im debating on either taking my truck to the dealer for the free spray or sanding down the small rust spots and coating my frame with fluid film. What do you think would be the better option in the long run there is no way my frame is going to fail for rust just a few small spots just want to make sure it doesnt get and new rust or get worse.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
If its not too late to get it checked at the dealer (which I think it is) get them to spray it. It's a black tar stuff that hardens solid and probably won't ever come off. Fluid film will wash after a few months. Still not a bad idea to ff the rest of the underbody though, especially if you see salty winter roads.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
CrushEm is on a distinguished road

CrushEm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rll131 View Post
I'm debating on taking my truck to the dealer for the free spray
Dealers no longer spray the frames

Quote:
Originally Posted by rll131 View Post
there is no way my frame is going to fail
If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that and then watched the owner's jaw drop when they hear that it failed... I'd be rich
Old 01-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
rll131
rll131's Tacoma Gallery
Yea they still spray the frame I have a apt on wed
Old 01-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Then take the spray. Its good stuff and by getting it done your frame is warrantied for 15 years from the in service date.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Shit man.... I had no idea this was expiring. When I did the research before buying my truck everyone said we had a 15 year time span from the model year of the truck. Now it's over? I never heard about this. I need to call a dealer down here. I know I'm not in an area where they salt the roads but I do live a quarter mile from the beach. Plus I could move back north sometime in the next decade.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
rll131
rll131's Tacoma Gallery
well the recall is over they said it ended in december they will not spray the frame anymore nor will they replace the frames on the 2001-2004 is what i was told even though i have a 2000 i asked about the 01-04's. good thing my truck had no rust . but the tech did say any trucks before 2001 will be bought back if its within 15 years of the production date.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
....It's a black tar stuff that hardens solid and probably won't ever come off....

i had mine sprayed over 2 years ago and it still is the consistency of tar. certainly not washing off but it did smear/rub off when i was working on my sliders, added bigger tires that rubbed...etc.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #9
defleppardsg is on a distinguished road
Name: chris
defleppardsg's Tacoma Gallery
yea, i heard that the frame coating is really sticky and tacky. Is that normal??? does it get dirty easily or anything, or look bad?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #10

Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dud122 View Post
i had mine sprayed over 2 years ago and it still is the consistency of tar. certainly not washing off but it did smear/rub off when i was working on my sliders, added bigger tires that rubbed...etc.
Really? My tires rubbed it off the frame but the tires took the paint off the pinch weld too. The rest of the frame is solid though, not tary or wet at all.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #11

Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaTacoma12 View Post
I just bought a 2012 taco. Should i call my dealer and see if this is an option??? how will i know if they sprayed it already?? THANKS
Its a 1st gen thing. 2nd gens dont rot out like the 1st gens (apparently)

A general undercoating if you live in a road salt area is a good idea though