Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Give me your oppinion

Old 01-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
D SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Dylan
D SPAID's Tacoma Gallery
Give me your oppinion

So I have been looking for a tacoma for a while now, and this is what I have found. This is going to be my first truck so im okay with some of the dents and dings. I am planing on wheeling and doing a lot of off roading. Just give me your opinion on what you would spend on it and tell me what you see wrong with it.

S 4x4, 3.4L V-6, 5-SP Manual transmission, SR5, TRD Pkg (Rear electric locking diff), 245,000 miles, power windows and locks, tow package, BFG All-Terrains. All maintenance intervals have been followed: oil changes every 4k using Toyota or Wix filters, timing belt/waterpump/thermostat at 90k intervals, front and rear diffs,tranny and transfer case at 20k intervals w/ synthetic oil. Includes a Mountaineer insulated camper shell w/ roof rack ($1200 new)and 2 spare tires. There is body damage from off-roading, but nothing structural.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
99TacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
no more then 4-5k with that many miles on it
actually with the condition its in id say 2.5-3k at the most
Old 01-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
maybe 4-4500 but check for frame rust..
Old 01-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
WAY too high IMHO. 245,000 miles? I wouldn't. Keep looking.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
D SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of lightD SPAID is a glorious beacon of light
D SPAID's Tacoma Gallery
He is also the original owner and there is no frame rust. This truck has only been in Arizona.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
Tacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
Tacomadude89's Tacoma Gallery
It looks like it's a had a bit of hard life judging by all that body damage.

That being said and it doesn't bother you, if it mechanically runs and drives well, the frame checks out (no rust-it would be a great idea to have it professionally inspected) and you can get it at a good price, then go for it. A truck with a decent amount of body damage already would make for a good wheeling rig.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
As others have said, for that price, keep looking. I feel he is asking way too much money for it in the condition it is in.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
D SPAID's Tacoma Gallery
Right now he is "asking" 4k, i think i will be able to get him lower on the price.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
First thing I'de do is KKB the truck, then deduct about $3500 for body damage, next check the miles and see if there normal for that yr truck.That shell is a old and out dated item,not worth more than $200 and thats if the rear struts, and hinges are still not wore out or broke. under the hood the wireing looks half assed.If the condition of what I see on the exterior of the trk, indicates how the owner took care of the maintance, I don't think I would believe he did a heck of alot of maintance. I think at the most I'de offer $2K. I think you would be better off looking at a different truck,less miles.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
D SPAID's Tacoma Gallery
This was his "camping/offroading" truck. The owner was saying that he didn't care much about cosmetics and was saying that he has all of the maintanance recorded. The truck is about 20 minutes away from my house so i think i might go check it out and just see whats going. If i can get it for a good enough deal, i might just buy it. My plans for the truck would be front and rear bumpers and sliders. Which would "hide" some of the cosmetics. i dont know its just a thought. Thanks for all of the input guys!
Old 01-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
NO, dont buy it. Look for something in better shape. I wouldnt touch that thing with a 10 ft stick. That thing is beat to hell and with that many miles in that condition you will be fixing shit all the time, which will be a hassle. If it was a camping/off roading truck with that many miles you know he drove it a lot and drove it very hard, the body condition is also usually reflective of the mechanical condition. You may say you like wrenching on your truck or you dont mind fixing it now, but down the road it is going to be a PITA. I would rather fix broken parts on my truck that break from off roading, not that break from daily driving because its got alot of miles. The extra 2500-3000 it would cost to get a truck in better shape with less miles will be worth it.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with IDTrucks, that thing was driven hard keep looking.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #14
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the boat with these guys. These trucks go and go, but seem to age a lot more quickly after 200k. That seems obvious, but just like any car, the rate at which it wears will increase over time. For the right price, I'd buy it at 180K, especially if you wanted to do a suspension lift, which, had it been done prior to all that crawling, might have saved the body from a lot of that damage.

Other thing is, if you're attached to a truck and need to put a new engine in it, that's one thing. If the frame, rusted or not, has had a rough life, she's heading for parts bin faster than you think.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
That thing looks like its been beaten hard

There may be other issues other than the body damage.

And 240k? It may be a tacoma, but I would keep looking.

And look at that bent cross member where the skid bolts to. Is that welded on or bolted on w/ the 98-00's?

That poor taco has been beat