Notices

Alternator Belt Squeal on Engine Start-Up

Old 01-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Loves Tacos
JoePoulson is on a distinguished road

Name: Joe
JoePoulson's Tacoma Gallery
Alternator Belt Squeal on Engine Start-Up

I had all of my belts replaced the first week of December, 2011. They were squealing like crazy, and were beyond ready for replacement. The new belts have been great ever since, but lately, my alternator belt is squealing when I start my cold engine. It's only for a second, unless my A/C is on, then it's for 2-3 seconds.

I assume that belt needs to be tightened, but I have no clue how to do it. I've searched high and low for specific instructions on how to do this on my Taco (2004 PreRunner, 3.6L V6), but have come up empty. Lots and lots of belt threads here and elsewhere, but none give how-to's for my Taco. I can't even find anything in my service manual.

If anyone can point me in the right direction for this, I would appreciate it. I've learned so much about my truck since I bought it last November (I replaced my brakes, all fluids, new stereo, etc.), but I'm still very green when it comes to vehicles. I had a local mechanic replace my belts because it would have taken me a week.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
The service manual tells you how to remove it so it's the opposite of this link. http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa.../gene/remo.pdf Obviously all you need to do is tighten the adjustment bolt. Google how to tell if the belt is tight, I normally just tighten mine till they don't give hardly at all when pushed in the center. But this is completely inaccurate.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Loves Tacos
JoePoulson is on a distinguished road

Name: Joe
JoePoulson's Tacoma Gallery
That's perfect! I saw bits and pieces around the web, but not such a simple explanation. It sounds silly, I know, but the last thing I wanted to do was to mess anything up. Also, with the adjusting lock bolt and adjusting bolt being underneath my alternator, I just wasn't seeing them.

I tightened the belt a bit this morning, and no squeal! I will continue to test and monitor, but I believe I am all set.

Thank you!
Old 01-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
Sometimes if tightening doesn't get all the noise out, rubbing some chalk on the inner belt face can help. Has worked for me on a couple of old cars and both my Toyotas. But you should have about 1/4 inches play either direction in the belts, no more than 1/2 inch.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdmac View Post
Sometimes if tightening doesn't get all the noise out, rubbing some chalk on the inner belt face can help. Has worked for me on a couple of old cars and both my Toyotas. But you should have about 1/4 inches play either direction in the belts, no more than 1/2 inch.
I've used ivory soap before...works great until it washes off if it rains.