Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

another lift question ..

Old 01-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
radcat692000 is a jewel in the roughradcat692000 is a jewel in the roughradcat692000 is a jewel in the roughradcat692000 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Rob
radcat692000's Tacoma Gallery
another lift question ..

i'm planning on a 3" lift( bilstein/eibach).... question,,,do i need extended brake lines for the rear,,,i'm doing an aal..... if so,,,do i need 1 or 2?? plus with the front bilsteins,,,,which setting on the shock is 0??? i see the 3 settings,,but not sure which way they are considering to be 0??
Old 01-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Irish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Irish020's Tacoma Gallery
I put a 3" lift on mine...as long as I don't do serious off road rock crawling I've been told I'm okay without the brake lines....from Toytec....
Old 01-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
ttran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
ttran's Tacoma Gallery
I got the extended brake lines for the peace of mind. On the bilsteins, the lowest notch on the shock would be 0".
Old 01-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by radcat692000 View Post
i'm planning on a 3" lift( bilstein/eibach).... question,,,do i need extended brake lines for the rear,,,i'm doing an aal..... if so,,,do i need 1 or 2?? plus with the front bilsteins,,,,which setting on the shock is 0??? i see the 3 settings,,but not sure which way they are considering to be 0??
The need for extended brake lines seems to vary by vehicle. Some folks report no need for one with 3"+ of lift. Others (like me) needed them with only ~2.5" of lift though, admittedly, mine was required to accomodate full drop/extension of my new leaf springs. ttran summed it up nicely... Extended lines give you "peace of mind". Moreover, at about $100 for a complete set of Goodridge braided stainless lines, they're cheap insurance that provides the added benefit of improved pedal feel. Bottom line: Highly recommended!

Stock setting on 5100s is the lowest (or 0) notch. The others provide 1.25" and 2.5" of lift, respectively, on 1st Gen Tacomas. When paired with the Eibach springs you're getting, they should be left at stock/0. Their pre-loading functionality is designed for lower spring rates than the Eibachs provide (e.g., stock springs).
Old 01-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
You don't need new front ones. Its not necessary at all.

Id get a rear one(you only need one) Just to be safe. But i ran my 96 taco with 4''+ of rear lift on stock hose for a while I never wheeled with it like that tho and put a longer one on before i went wheeling.

The bottom setting is what you need to set it on

And i know your new..but the search function is your friend! This has been covered a MILLION times.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Like I said, opinions vary. FWIW, however, my Goodridge lines came with a manufacturer recommendation against mixing stainless and rubber brake lines. Whether that's pure propaganda or not, you definitely won't get the full benefits of increased durability and improved pedal feel unless you upgrade all three lines to stainless.

Quote:
And i know your new..but the search function is your friend! This has been covered a MILLION times.
Great advice since, according to Google, there are over 95K 5100-related hits here on TW!
Old 01-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #8

Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Eh, i haven't noticed a difference. Only thing that made a huge difference was a lift bracket for the BPV
I suppose that's another "opinions vary" thing. I noticed a huge difference in brake feel and responsiveness when I upgraded (all three lines) to stainless. My B.A.M.F BPV bracket was already in-place.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
For less than a $100 investment, better safe than sorry.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #10
radcat692000 is a jewel in the roughradcat692000 is a jewel in the roughradcat692000 is a jewel in the roughradcat692000 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Rob
radcat692000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Id get a rear one(you only need one) Just to be safe. But i ran my 96 taco with 4''+ of rear lift on stock hose for a while I never wheeled with it like that tho and put a longer one on before i went wheeling.

The bottom setting is what you need to set it on

the problem is ...even with the search function you can search for hours and still not find a specific answer to a question...hell even the sticky on faq's about lifts never even covers extended brake lines or the use of shims..... a proper sticky should cover everything from a to b concerning a lift,,,not what you can get by with but everything you may encounter..i have searched trust me....