1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Side Steps - Aries/Westin or ???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Badbagger, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Jan 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    Badbagger

Badbagger [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    2002 PreRunner DC
    Adding a few mods to the new to me Taco all of which are out of necessity. Truck is not lifted but new tires are oversize compared to originals by 1/2+. I don't have issues getting in and out but the Mrs. wellll.... she can without a lot of heartache.

I think the biggest benefit to them would be that they may cut down on rock chips etc and when it comes time to wash and wax, it'd be nice to have something to stand on vs pulling out the ladder.

Westin seems popular but Aries also seems pretty popular.

I'd like black vs stainless so I want something with GOOD powder coating. Aries has a 3 year warranty. Not sure about the Westin or anything else.
    I'm more concerned with quality than saving a few bucks and want to do it right the first time.

Suggestions? Would ya do black or stainless ?

Pick of my Taco attached.

1-14-11 & TRUCK 052.jpg
    1-14-11 & TRUCK 054.jpg
    1-14-11 & TRUCK 055.jpg

2. Jan 22, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    Rebel Taco 22

Rebel Taco 22 mall crawler

Member:
  3. Jan 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    Ever thought about sliders?

But westin are nice, i have them

4. Jan 22, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    Brandon9402

Brandon9402 uncoordinated dirtbox

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    02 prerunner sr5
    Kenwood headunit, 4 kicker 5x7 coaxials,2 memphis 1.5" tweeters, 2 12" memphis subwoofers, memphis 500w amp, chrome grille guard, kc fog lamps, chrome side steps, chrome tool box, and window visors
    i have chrome westin brand on mine and my mom has chrome aries.. honestly i cant tell a difference quality wise. mine are about 10 years old and still look and feel brand new. mom's are about a year old and they work great too.

5. Jan 22, 2012 at 9:51 AM
    Badbagger

Badbagger [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    2002 PreRunner DC
    Thanks for the replies so far. I did see Westin Signature Series carries a 5 year warranty which is perty good.

6. Jan 22, 2012 at 9:56 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    I have the Westin Signature series. No regrets so far but I've only had my truck since May of 11. I was also thinking of getting the Black but the powder coat is on untreated steel which means over time should the powder coating become damaged, it will rust eventually.

I was also thinking of sliders such as in post #2 but sliders are closer to the body of the vehicle and usually are the same height as the sill so the reasoning as using them as a step for ease of entry is almost sans. Though they do offer great protection from parking lot door dings.

Products Discussed in

To Top