Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Stolen Catalytic Converter

Old 01-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
poseytaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Nicholas
poseytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Stolen Catalytic Converter

My catalytic converter was stolen off my 2000 Toyota Tacoma this weekend. What is the best option; replace with an aftermarket converter, a Toyota converter or a straight pipe? Just want to make sure exhaust stays quiet and don't want to lose performance.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Aftermarket. They are a lot cheaper.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
Did they cut your pipes on either side or just unbolt it? Either way you may as well go AM, they can be had new for $160+freight, direct fit (unless you have a welding job on your hands).
Old 01-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
straight pipe and URD O2 sim

But if you have a v6 those are pretty sensitive to drops in back pressure.

But your best bet is to order a magnaflow cat and get it welded in. OEM cats are ridiculously expensive.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Adam Baum is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Adam Baum's Tacoma Gallery
Why would someone steal a catalytic converter? I must be living under a rock because I have never heard of this.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Baum View Post
Why would someone steal a catalytic converter? I must be living under a rock because I have never heard of this.
I hear of it more and more. Especialy in states where you have to get emissions testing every year or every several years. Guys can't pass their emmisions test on their old clunkers and can't afford to buy a new cat, so they just steal one in order to pass the test.
Others apparently steal it to recycle the material inside it - whatever is in there that makes it so expensive.
Sad that the world is coming to this.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Mr. President
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Baum View Post
The metal inside it right? I want to say platinum.....
Old 01-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
Hi, I would go with magnaflow and aftermarket cats, I had a 2000 mustang gt and in 2005 i replaced the entire exhaust with it. I did it myself, it was just a step by step process but I did it. I talked with magnaflow about chicago, emissions laws and they told me it would pass with no problems and it did for 5 years, go with high quality and it should be made for all 50 states.
And it will last much longer and wont rust out fast. I know it sucks, but maybe one day the thieves will get run over!
Old 01-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
The metal inside it right? I want to say platinum.....
yup...platinum....

Some places will give $40 a cat because of the platinum and other metals in the cats.

But some scrapyards wont take them anymore.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Platinum and iridium are worth a lot of money, even as scrap in a cat. People will steal anything for a few easy bucks.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
They cut it clean on both sides of the cat. I would like to put a straight pipe on, but I'm afraid it will mess with the computer on my truck. Check engine light is on now. I guess it has something to do with o2 sensor. Has anyone replaced there cat with a straight pipe. And are the aftermarket cats a good/quiet as stock. I have a 5 hundred dollar deductible If I turn it into insurance.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #13

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by poseytaco View Post
They cut it clean on both sides of the cat. I would like to put a straight pipe on, but I'm afraid it will mess with the computer on my truck. Check engine light is on now. I guess it has something to do with o2 sensor. Has anyone replaced there cat with a straight pipe. And are the aftermarket cats a good/quiet as stock. I have a 5 hundred dollar deductible If I turn it into insurance.
Aftermarket high flow cats are a bit louder than stock.

But if you are concerned with noise don't straight pipe it, that will be significantly louder.

Straight piping it wont mess with the computer, just make you have a constant CEL unless you use an O2 sim like the one from URD.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
Straight piping could possibly give you better gas mileage, but not sure how it would affect the computer, etc. However, if you live in a state that requires inspections (I don't), then you'll have to have one to pass inspection...
Old 02-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
I've been running a straight pipe for about 3weeks. Way to loud. Total loss of power and bad gas mileage. Took it to a muffler shop and told them to put an aftermarket cat and a o2 sensor on. Hope it takes care of my problems. This whole experience has made me more aware of my surroundings. Anytime I've been in a parking lot or garage since this ordeal I'm hoping to run in to someone carrying a sawsall and toolbag. I gaurantee the 100 bucks they get out of those things is not worth it..!!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:49 AM   #16
RacerP will become famous soon enough
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by poseytaco View Post
I've been running a straight pipe for about 3weeks. Way to loud. Total loss of power and bad gas mileage. Took it to a muffler shop and told them to put an aftermarket cat and a o2 sensor on. Hope it takes care of my problems. This whole experience has made me more aware of my surroundings. Anytime I've been in a parking lot or garage since this ordeal I'm hoping to run in to someone carrying a sawsall and toolbag. I gaurantee the 100 bucks they get out of those things is not worth it..!!
Just wait til the snip your spare cable and steal your spare!!! Just as big a PITA to replace the spare carrier and get a new spare!

Typical here in Chicago!
Old 05-22-2014, 06:19 AM   #17
crazy barham is on a distinguished road
crazy barham's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so I've replaced my catalytic converter and the p042 code keeps coming on so could I be liking at a o2 sensor gone bad I'm tired of buying stuff that don't fix it my next question is will I be able to pass inspection in nc if I just take it off
Old 05-22-2014, 07:12 AM   #18
crazy barham is on a distinguished road
crazy barham's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so I've replaced my catalytic converter and the p042 code keeps coming on so could I be liking at a o2 sensor gone bad I'm tired of buying stuff that don't fix it my next question is will I be able to pass inspection in nc if I just take it off
Old 05-22-2014, 09:36 PM   #20
gray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to beholdgray223 is a splendid one to behold

gray223's Tacoma Gallery
Mine went bad, took it off straight pipe and o2 simulator. Runs great no loss in torque that I can feel. Sound is just louder in the higher rpm range, but as long as you got the stock muffler it should alright.