Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Aftermarket in dash radio, what to get

Old 01-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
stumpman is on a distinguished road
stumpman's Tacoma Gallery
Aftermarket in dash radio, what to get

I have 03 dc with stock radio, I would like to upgrade to satellite radio but would want to replace stock radio in doing so. Is this possible?
Old 01-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpman View Post
I have 03 dc with stock radio, I would like to upgrade to satellite radio but would want to replace stock radio in doing so. Is this possible?
I'd post this in the audio/video forum.

Your question will get a lot more attention there I believe
Old 01-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Team Impulse Red
CHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHPTR11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dan
CHPTR11's Tacoma Gallery
I just did this is my truck last week. I went with Pioneer, but there are a multitude of options to choose from.

You will need a new head unit and the sat radio tuner which will need to be mounted under the dash, or under the seat, etc.

This is similar to the the head unit I have: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/DEH-6400BT
This is the sat radio tuner I have: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...dio/GEX-P920XM

Its a nice little set-up, you get bluetooth and sat radio and from the outside it just looks like a really simple CD player (which I hope reduces the chance of scum breaking into my truck).

Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpman View Post
Definitely! Many of us have replaced our OEM head units with after-market. I recommend you let your fingers do the walking at a site like Crutchfield, where you can browse hundreds of options and narrow them down by fit, feature, price, etc.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
bentleymartin is on a distinguished road

Name: bentley
bentleymartin's Tacoma Gallery
how did you get the stock radio out
Old 03-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentleymartin View Post
how did you get the stock radio out
Without pictures....

Take off the climate control knobs.
Pry off the climate control backing
Take off those two corner screws (that are holding the plastic, not radio)
Also take off the ashtray
Theres a screw behind there in the lower right corner
push in the two push pins holding your lower plastics on. (power outlets)
Slowly pry from the top down near your vents.
Take out your 4 radio screws
Slide out radio

I think im missing a screw to take off somewhere, but I cant remember where it is.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #8
Hoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of light

Air Force: Commander & Chief
Hoyle's Tacoma Gallery
Not a problem, I just installed a Double Din in my 03 DC, replaced all 4 door speakers, put a SubBox behind the rear seat.. Amp in the passenger seat, SAT box under drivers seat, removed old carpet with new, Also Dynamat Extreme the entire inside including Doors.. So it's all very doable..
Old 03-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #10
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Plenty of options out there. Really just depends on what features you want and what your price range is. I have a Kenwood now and have also ran Pioneer and Alpine in the past. Never had issuea with either.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #11
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
Follow page 2 of the attached instructions, which include pictures...

Seems like I was right with only 3 screws. Pictures do help.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
Your Unique, Just Like Everyone Else
TacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
TacoBran's Tacoma Gallery
You can also add SAT radio to your factory deck. Theres a module that goes inline. My truck came with this module from the PO and had no idea what it was untill I took the radio to see what this plug was going to.

The module I had was a Sirius satellite radio FM direct adapter model # FMDA25 Goes inline with your antenna