Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

looking at a 2003, 1gen gurus led me some advice

Old 01-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
UncleFrancis is on a distinguished road

UncleFrancis's Tacoma Gallery
looking at a 2003, 1gen gurus led me some advice

I kind of had my hart set on a brand new 2012, I still might ( just need to wait til I sell my mustang) but I came across a very nice black 2003 tacoma TRD 4dr 3.4 4x4 auto with 89k for 3,500. I have not seen it yet but looking at the pictures it looks like its never been on the road. New tires and a recent ac compressor.

Im basically looking to get back into a truck- and im sick of my broncos 12mpg. Im not real firmiliar with the 1gen's---- ive been readin the forum a bit but what should I look for and what major issues have you all come across/ other things I should know about....

Heres what Ive read on the 1st gens in a nut shell:
3.4 = indestructable engine
17-20mpg
Stronger tailgates??
Old 01-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
^ Unless it's falling apart on a visual inspection, GET IT!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
on craigslist? that price seems AWFUL low for a super clean, non-wrecked truck
Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
on craigslist? that price seems AWFUL low for a super clean, non-wrecked truck
X2
Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
If its on craigslist, Id bet its a scam.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
What Tiger said. Sounds like a CL scam.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

As far as 1st gens go

I wouldn't call the 3.4 indestructible, but with proper care and maint. it will last you well into the 250K-300K range

I was getting far greater than 17mpg in my truck before modifications

I believe the tailgate issue has been fixed in 2nd gens
Old 01-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
$3,500? Only 89k miles? TRD V6 DBLCB?

100% scam, no doubt about it. Unless it has a salvage title, but even then it would be more than $3,500. If that's true, I'd fly out to wherever it was Tomorrow, and buy it....

Scam dude, scam. Sorry...

Edit: And they are great trucks, If you can find a "real" one, you'll fall in love. They're awesome.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
scam.... 13.5k would be a more realistic but still good deal lol.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #11

Yea, I just compared prices to some on Ebay and there its some thing funny about the price. Yea its a craigslist ad probably bs.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
There was one of those on Craiglslist around here...Scam all the way.
Out of curiosity, I inquired, and there was some BS story about it being held up at a warehouse from an Ebay sale gone south. Just send the money and we'll send you the truck...wink..wink
Old 01-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #13
Colossians 3:2
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ethan
PreRunner03's Tacoma Gallery
Price is way too low. My PreRunner had 156k and it was worth $8500 but I got it for $7k (my uncle gave me a family discount)
Old 01-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #14
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
I believe the tailgate issue has been fixed in 2nd gens
What tailgate issue do 1st gens have?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #15

just for fun I emailed him, to see if it was a misprint for 13,200. He replied he would send nee the truck insured and delivered to my house for 3200.00 haha, sha ill believe that when monkeys fly out off my butt.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #16

Not sure, someone said something about the 1st gen tailgates and beds being stronger??
Just something I read
Old 01-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleFrancis View Post
just for fun I emailed him, to see if it was a misprint for 13,200. He replied he would send nee the truck insured and delivered to my house for 3200.00 haha, sha ill believe that when monkeys fly out off my butt.
U know, if scammers are still doing it, it's because peeps are still falling for it!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #18
Colossians 3:2
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ethan
PreRunner03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post
What tailgate issue do 1st gens have?
Not sure about tiger's but At least on mine, I have to pull up on the handle as if I am opening the tailgate to close it. Though, I have been told that it is possible to put some wd-40 or whatever your choice would be for oil, and applying it will help with the problem. Won't remove it entirely as over time you will have to reapply but it is a temporary fix.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #19
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleFrancis View Post
Not sure, someone said something about the 1st gen tailgates and beds being stronger??
Just something I read
people are just scared of the composite bed...and the 2nd gens did have tailgate bending issues
Old 01-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #20
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
U know, if scammers are still doing it, it's because peeps are still falling for it!
very true