Notices

Oil in coolant.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
jaymeduty is on a distinguished road
Name: Jayme
jaymeduty's Tacoma Gallery
Oil in coolant.

95 tacoma 3.4L
I just changed the upper rad hose because it was leaking where it meets the water pump. When i topped off the rad after changing this hose some oil floated to the top. What cause oil to get into the coolant. It is safe to drive for a couple days until i get it fixed. I drive about 30 miles per day.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd for input.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Bad head gasket will allow oil and coolant passages to leak into eachother.
Very bad. Check your oil to see if it is milky (sign of coolant)
Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Oil is good so i was hoping to avoid head gasket
Old 01-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
kctmet is on a distinguished road
kctmet's Tacoma Gallery
Check your transmission oil since transmission oil cooler is at the bottom of the radiator.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Oil in coolant means coolant in oil...
Old 01-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
There is a write up about this happening when the radiator goes bad...

Was it here, or on the other Taco forum?

In any even it was called "Taco Shake", and one of the ways to avoid it was installing an aftemarket tranny cooler and replacing the radiator.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymeduty View Post
Oil is good so i was hoping to avoid head gasket
You might want to just change your crankcase oil to get a good look. Let a generous sample of the old oil sit overnight in a clear container and see if anything separates.
As stated, coolant in oil is fatal and when you see the "chocolate mousse" look to your oil, it might be too late.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Has it been skipping, excess water out the tailpipe or overheating or anything else abnormal? Those are common other symptons that happen when a head gasket leaks. I have heard of some funky designs for oil coolers on some vehicles where there is coolant flowing in them as well as the oil (in separate channels). Some are poorly designed with seals that can leak and allow the two to mix.

Hopefully if it has not run long like this or been overheated, you can fix whatever it is without any further damage.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Has not been ran long at all. Maybe 100 miles total. It is a 5 speed so i don't think it has a tranny cooler. ( could be wrong it is actually my girl friends truck and i have not been around it long.) No overheating or even getting hot. I have not noticed if there has been excessive water dripping out the tail pipe but i will look into it. when you say it might be too late do you mean it has done catastrophic damage. the truck starts and runs perfect, no smoke, no sweet smell nothing.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymeduty View Post
Has not been ran long at all. Maybe 100 miles total. It is a 5 speed so i don't think it has a tranny cooler. ( could be wrong it is actually my girl friends truck and i have not been around it long.) No overheating or even getting hot. I have not noticed if there has been excessive water dripping out the tail pipe but i will look into it. when you say it might be too late do you mean it has done catastrophic damage. the truck starts and runs perfect, no smoke, no sweet smell nothing.

No U R right, that's a malady for Auto's only. Dude, so sorry to hear!
Old 01-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
I did learn that there is an oil cooler that can cause the same problem after talking to a local Toyota mechanic. No just to figure out which one??
Old 01-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #13
bowman is on a distinguished road
Name: Dustin
bowman's Tacoma Gallery
The oil filter screws onto a oil cooler that has 2 coolant hoses goin to it. Since oil pressure is higher than radiator pressure is why you see oil in coolant. I would change the cooler and flush engine coolant with a pressure machine, and change the oil. I did notice the truck was a 95 and Toyota did have a few headgasket problems with the 3.4l v6, but they were for external coolant leaks.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
How much does a new cooler run
Old 01-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
I'd bet if it's oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil that it's probably a atf/oil cooler leaking and mixing with the coolant.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #16
is the oil cooler easy to change. i talked with one guy and said i could bypass it and run it some to see if there is still oil getting into the coolant. what do you think about bypassing it?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #17
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
....thought you said it was a manual transmission?
Old 01-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #18
yes it is a manual. He said that the oil filter screws into a engine oil cooler and they can fail internally causing oil in the coolant. Since the oil pressure is greater than coolant pressure the oil wins mixing with coolant.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
livinlearn89 is on a distinguished road
Name: Billy
livinlearn89's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having same problem. oil in my coolant but not in oil. hoping its not the head gasket. How do I determine if it's the oil cooler??
Old 03-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #20
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinlearn89 View Post
I'm having same problem. oil in my coolant but not in oil. hoping its not the head gasket. How do I determine if it's the oil cooler??
You don't have an oil cooler