Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Auto Trans Fluid/Filter change

Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Smamas is on a distinguished road
Smamas's Tacoma Gallery
Auto Trans Fluid/Filter change

Hi guys,

A friend of mine bought a 2003 Tacoma 3.4L for their son, and after putting about 50,000 on it, (total 148K) they have brought it to their favorite garage mechanic...me! I am doing quite a bit of maintenance, like tune up, radiator flush, diff fluid change, PS fluid change etc., and of course the AT filter/fluid.

I have searched this forum and went to the two links on the DIY thread, and still would like to ask some questions. To frame my questions, I have an Lexus LS 400, that I do ALL the work on, including AT Fluid flush, timing belt, water pump, etc.

So here it goes...

Does the A340E or F, (not sure which one he has, would appreciate the education) have a trans filter or screen that should be replaced? I will be going to Toyota for the T-IV anyway, so would pick up the filter too.

Can I use the Toyota Black FIPG to seal trans pan or should I use something else?

Complete Fluid Flush:
I could not find a DIY flush. Does the AT have an external trans cooler? If so, just like on my LS400, couldn't you pull the pressure side, attach a hose, put in clear bucket, start truck briefly, measure output, replace same amount with T4, do again until you see new fluid in clear bucket?

Thanks for your help guys! At this moment I am a Tacoma Rookie.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
Smamas's Tacoma Gallery
Bump
Old 01-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Smamas's Tacoma Gallery
Bump again...
Old 01-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
you might find this helpful http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/index.html

although i haven't done it yet, i've read there is a screen that if you drop the pan should be cleaned. I don't think it needs to be replaced though. www.ttora.com has a good forum for diy procedures.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^ what he said, after you buy the fluid, the FIPG, and your labor and mess to do the job your not that far off from having the dealer do a flush without pulling the pan, then if lt leaks after you do it its pull the pan again to try and seal it. Had mine done for $149.00 out the door.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Got Beer?
BeerHat will become famous soon enoughBeerHat will become famous soon enough

BeerHat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smamas View Post
Hi guys,

Does the A340E or F, (not sure which one he has, would appreciate the education) have a trans filter or screen that should be replaced? I will be going to Toyota for the T-IV anyway, so would pick up the filter too.
E = 2wd, F = 4wd so basically if he has a transfer case, then it is a F. There is a screen on the pickup tube that should be cleaned. Pretty sure there is no inline filter (like a fuel filter) to change.

Quote:
Can I use the Toyota Black FIPG to seal trans pan or should I use something else?
FSM calls for the orange FIPG. And that is what I used.

Quote:
Complete Fluid Flush:
I could not find a DIY flush. Does the AT have an external trans cooler? If so, just like on my LS400, couldn't you pull the pressure side, attach a hose, put in clear bucket, start truck briefly, measure output, replace same amount with T4, do again until you see new fluid in clear bucket?
The radiator is used to cool the AT fluid and there are lines that go to it from the tranny on the passenger side. You can do what you stated, but I would make sure the return line always has clean fluid to pick up otherwise you can burn up the tranny. Make sure you shift through the gears to get all of the fluid; should be about 12 quarts.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Smamas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHat View Post
E = 2wd, F = 4wd so basically if he has a transfer case, then it is a F. There is a screen on the pickup tube that should be cleaned. Pretty sure there is no inline filter (like a fuel filter) to change.

FSM calls for the orange FIPG. And that is what I used.

The radiator is used to cool the AT fluid and there are lines that go to it from the tranny on the passenger side. You can do what you stated, but I would make sure the return line always has clean fluid to pick up otherwise you can burn up the tranny. Make sure you shift through the gears to get all of the fluid; should be about 12 quarts.
Thanks Beerhat, and others. I appreciate the info. I will pick up the Orange FIPG when I get T-IV.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Should be able to either "Drain and Refill" or "Flush" the trans.

Taking the pan off isin't the best idea as the dipstick tube goes directly into the pan.

14mm bolt on the bottom of the trans pan for a D & F.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
Smamas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Should be able either "Drain and Refill" or "Flush" the trans.

Taking the pan off isn't the best idea as the dipstick tube goes directly into the pan.

14mm bolt on the bottom of the trans pan for a D & F.
I remember seeing the tube. (Taco isn't here right now)
It looks like it just pulls apart about 6-8 inches above the pan. I did not see a drain plug though. Maybe just not looking for one at the time. It shifts real good, so maybe I won't pull the pan and just do a drain and refill. I think I remember you guys saying it is about three quarts?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be getting mine flush at a shop in Dallas within the next 60 days, unless I find a place closer to Cow Town.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smamas View Post
I remember seeing the tube. (Taco isn't here right now)
It looks like it just pulls apart about 6-8 inches above the pan. I did not see a drain plug though. Maybe just not looking for one at the time. It shifts real good, so maybe I won't pull the pan and just do a drain and refill. I think I remember you guys saying it is about three quarts?
4 quarts on a drain and fill......removing the pan and filter screen will yield a little more.....closer to 5 quarts. Clean and replace filter screen. And I used black rtv silicone when I pulled my pan......have had no problem with leaks. The drain plug is 14mm,and dipstick tube comes apart.....tight at first,but twist a little and it will come apart. Use a little grease putting it back together,since there is an o ring there.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
4 quarts on a drain and fill......removing the pan and filter screen will yield a little more.....closer to 5 quarts. Clean and replace filter screen. And I used black rtv silicone when I pulled my pan......have had no problem with leaks. The drain plug is 14mm,and dipstick tube comes apart.....tight at first,but twist a little and it will come apart. Use a little grease putting it back together,since there is an o ring there.
good info