Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Where to buy red line the cheapest

Old 01-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Hillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant future

Hillingdoner's Tacoma Gallery
Where to buy red line the cheapest

Been reading extensively on changing the gear fluids. Looking and buying synthetic oils for them.

Got GL5 synthetics for the front & rear diff and the transfer case. All 75w90 and cost me average of $9 a quart for Castrol synthetic and Mobil one synthetic. Now just need to find 3 quart of the gearbox oil.

Manual says GL4 75w90 and everything I find in the local stores is GL5 so far.

Seems most on the board are saying to use Amsoil or Red line. Amsoil seems to be an online order from them. The few suggestions I've seen on Redline is to go to Summit to get it. Amsoil online is coming out to $18.76 a quart for me and Red Line from Summit is coming out to $17.80 a quart.

Just wondered if there was any other source in which they could be had any cheaper per quart? Not worth the 6 month preferred customer on Amsoil just for 3 quarts as that is all I need to buy.

Any national chains carry the Red line (MT90 I think it was)? I'm in New Mexico so that might limit it too, but thought I'd ask.

Seems like with the number of people/Tacomas on this site they should be giving us a direct buy lol.

Anyway, any help appreciated. If there is a post that I missed on this while searching then first, sorry I missed it, second, could you pop a link on as happy to go read it.

PS Any NM ABQ/RR locals who know of a mom and pop even that has it at a good price please chime in.

Cheers
Old 01-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
ailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
ailll1's Tacoma Gallery
Gl-5 will do I think.
This might help (96 model but should be really similar)96 Tacoma Specs.pdf
Old 01-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
Hillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant future

Hmm, posted a reply and must have not clicked to actually post.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Must have changed in 1996. My owners manual for the 1995 says GL4 only. May be no difference. Guess I'd rather stick with the GL4 just to be sure. The Redline looks like the best bet for being able to get.

Just trying to save a few dollars if possible as every dollar saved is a dollar that can be spent somewhere else on the truck, lol.

Thanks again for the reply and help.

Cheers
Old 01-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I bought it online.

don't use GL5 in the trans, it eats the brass syncros.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #5

That's what I've just been reading about the GL5. Thanks for the tip! Well, will have to see, but I came across the redline website and found where you can search for local dealers. Looks like a place in town has it. At least listed on their website. About $15 a quart so would be approx $16.00 all said and done. At least I'd save $1.80ish a quart so can handle that.
Thanks for the posts!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
PM me if you're interested in Amsoil... I have 6 months of the "preferred customer" membership that a dealer at home set me up with. I think anyone can order with my number ... Might as well cause he gets a kickback for it since he signed me up and you get wholesale price. I guess that goes for everyone else too... if ya need amsoil, hit me up.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #7

Hi, Thanks for the offer! I may do that on maybe some oil perhaps as my wife is already picking up some gear oil from a redline local supplier we found through the redline site.

Thanks again for the help all. Nice to have such great people on a board!
Cheers
Old 01-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #8

Hi, Just thought I'd update especially for those in ABQ area. Got Redline MT90 GL4 oil at Desert Rat at $12.99 a quart. Got the last three they had on the shelf, but they have it in the warehouse for easy restock.

Thanks again all for your posts. Cheers