1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clear coat peeling because of frost?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TACOMABOSS, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Jan 23, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    Figured i would post this in the 1st gen section. Has anyone ever heard of clear coat being peeled away from frost? My truck has been repainted by the previous owner and i can tell you it isnt the worlds best paint job. When i got the truck the paint was fine. but a few months after (right around when winter came) i noticed the clear coat on the roof was peeling. i figured it was just because of the bad paint job. Now today i noticed peeling spreading all over the roof, hood, and drivers side fender. Needless to say i was not happy. To me it seems like when the frost freezes on the paint(clear coat) and doesnt melt off before i get on the highway, and the frost flys off taking clear coat with it. Is this possible?

2. Jan 23, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Absolutely. It obviously wasn't painted right. The clear coat didn't get enough bite into the color and is basically just sitting on top of it. It could be either because it was an incompatible formula used for the clear (didn't bite into the color) or they let the color coat cure too long before adding the clear. Or a multitude of other reasons. The frost just helps things along by helping separate the two layers.

The good thing is that as long as there is no exposed metal, you should be fine for a while. It just won't be pretty.

3. Jan 23, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    TACOMABOSS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    thats what i was thinking. there is no bare metal showing, so thats good. eventually i want to line-x the whole truck that way i dont have to worry about scratches

4. Jan 23, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    nucktaco

nucktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    south surrey, bc
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport
    satoshi mod, sliders, tinted tails/3rd brake, 3" lift,
    its peeling cause the shop didnt prep the surface properly. i work at a bodyshop and we get cars in all the time with shit paintjobs having clear coat peeling. wait til you get some rockchips and the paint starts coming off in big patches.

5. Jan 23, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    TACOMABOSS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    ive got plenty of rock chips.. and its not reeling there. but where it is peeling its pretty big

6. Jan 23, 2012 at 8:06 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    The Line-X thing would look cool, maybe do an urban camo thing.

nucktaco is right, but that is a simple explanation. I used to paint cars, and I know that 90% of the work is in the prep. Shooting is somewhat of an art, but most amateurs can do better than the orange-peely GM robot jobs, and nobody can make up for crappy prep work.

In your case it sounds like the surface was prepped OK for the base coat, but something went wrong when they added the clear. Most likely the base cured too long, which would require sanding and applying more base. Or, they didn't use the same paint system for base and clear, which can be overcome if you know what you are doing (and as nucktaco said, prep it properly).

If you have an air compressor and a nozzle, you might be able to strip most of the clear off by blowing under the edges of the clear. I once stripped an entire Cadillac using that method. It was scary underneath. Once the clear is off, scuff it with a Scotch-Brite pad and go to town with the Line-X!

7. Jan 23, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    TACOMABOSS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    wouldnt the sun rays ruin the paint since there is no clear? and yeah ive seen a taco on here that has line-x in red and it looked awesome. i was thinking maybe a blue. im not sure

Products Discussed in

To Top