Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

No Horn

Old 01-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
No Horn

Recently realized my horn doesn't work, and my inspection sticker goes out at the end of January. Would it be able to legally pass if I just rewired it to a switch? I think the wiring for the horn is probably the hardest thing to follow...
Old 01-24-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
do you need a horn to pass inspection?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If I remember correctly you do. the place I go to only checks for turn signals, brake lights, wipers, and possibly horn if I remember correctly.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know about your inspection system there, but here as long as the horn works it passes. Doesnt matter if its connected to the steering wheel or to a switch on the dash.

Does the horn work though? Have you removed it and tried to connect it directly to power? Mine stopped working one day, when I took it out the connector was all dirty and corroded. Cleaned it up and it worked again.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
bpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud ofbpkrules has much to be proud of
Name: Jon
bpkrules's Tacoma Gallery
Horn has to work in Texas.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Why not fix the issue instead of rigging it to a random switch? It could just be a fuse.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #8

Checked fuse, followed the wiring as best I could and didn't see any problems. I'll test the horn with direct power next. I can't see anything that would be causing problems, I'd rather fix it right, but if the horn itself works and it's something with the wiring then the only choice I have is to wire it to a switch so I can pass my inspection in time.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
ailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
ailll1's Tacoma Gallery
Had a bad ground on mine. Wire wheeled the bracket, bolt and frame where its attached.
You should try that also if the horn works when connected directly to power.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailll1 View Post
Had a bad ground on mine. Wire wheeled the bracket, bolt and frame where its attached.
You should try that also if the horn works when connected directly to power.
Where is the ground for it at? I'm having trouble following the wiring.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoarezee View Post
i want to be on a banner too.
The bracket is the ground.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
Team 4Runner
wesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
wesrunner's Tacoma Gallery
I think wiring it to a switch will work. As long as you can use the horn it doesnt matter. My guess anyways.

You have cruise controll?

Check to see if that still works.

If it doesn't than I'm willing to bet that it's the clock spring.

If you don't have cruise control than it still might be it, it'd just be harder to pin down as the problem.

You have any front end work done recently?

If it does turn out to be your clock spring, than you should definately get it fixxed ASAP. It connects to your airbag as well.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
does your emergency lights button work