1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2 Probs: Have a POP when creeping and doing a Hard Steer, and Tie Rods/alignment

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by stucoma05, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Jan 24, 2012 at 9:17 AM
    stucoma05

stucoma05 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey I wanted to first say I've been doing a lot of work on my Tacoma lately and yall are awesome: the community on this forum, extensive write-ups, geneoristy, NICE..... and thanks to everyone that is always trying to help others out anyway possible.

Heres my situation

I have a 99 Taco, Reg Cab, 2.7l 4x4 manual
    -3" body lift
    -All my suspension was upgraded last year
    -My tie rods were replaced 3 years aho
    -And recently removed: 2.5" coil spacers, AAL , and 35" tires (back to the 31's)

-----dont know if all this mattered

The problem is whenever i make a sharp turn at say 1 MPH to any direction there is this loud popping that you can hear and feel aswell in/around my Front Left Tire.

-- Add'l Info - My left IFS broke off last year at both ball joints and my cv axle. (But that has been all replaced) and an alignment was done so it was good to go. I mean i feel 100% confident in the work i did on it.

HTML:

line

The second problem.

I know my alignment is all jacked up, so i went ahead and put on my wheel spacers (1.5") and got an alignment done, the tech said he raised my truck and both inner and outer tie rods on the left side were, for lack of better words, bad.

So I'm wondering how they went that bad in 3 years, can there be another symptom to cause this? And would anybody like to share what they would do in this situation?

HTML:
    line

Thanks in advance for the replies!

2. Jan 24, 2012 at 11:21 AM
    stucoma05

stucoma05 [OP] Member

Member:
    to early for bump?

3. Jan 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    BeerHat

BeerHat Got Beer?

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner 4x4
    PreRunner 4x4, Homebrew Front Bumper, Homebrew Sliders, Homebrew Skids, Homebrew Bedbar, Homebrew Beer
    First Problem: Check you sway bar links; they tend to bind and pop when loose, especially when turning

Second Problem:
    Confused by your question so I will try to answer as best I can, you said "Did an alignment and good to go" to "I Know my alignment is all jacked up..."
    They can go bad after 3 years, especially if abused, larger wheels/tires, wheel spacers(increased scrub radius). Lift the front end of the truck and grab the tire at 3-9 o'clock and push on each side. If there is play, chances are your tie rod ends are toast. If you trust your Tech; have them replaced.

Products Discussed in

To Top