Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Could anyone explain the alignment report?

Old 01-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Could anyone explain the alignment report?

Just like the title says. I know a lot about cars, but I have NO CLUE on how to read an alignment report.

Txs!
Attached Thumbnails
Could anyone explain the alignment report?-alignment.jpg  
Old 01-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
showing you how many degrees it was off and correction
Old 01-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Location: Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 186000mps View Post
looks like they corrected your toe a bit.
Are you lifted?
Ideally
0 Camber
2.4+ Caster if lifted (a tad less if not lifted)
0 Toe

No, not lifted.

I'd really like if someone explained in layman terms what all the stuff in the report means!

Txs!
Old 01-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
Camber is how your wheels lean in or out. Negative is where top is closer together, positive, bottom closer together.
Caster is how far off from the turning axis the wheel rotate. Think shopping cart wheels. Positive is rear of axis.
Toe is are they angled in or out. Negative pointed towards each other at the front of the vehicle, positive, away from each other.

also see
http://www.aa1car.com/library/wheel_alignment.htm
Old 01-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
Quote:
Camber is how your wheels leans in or out
Caster is how far off from the turning axis the wheel rotate. Think shopping cart wheels.
Toe is are they angled in or out.

Txs, how about my before and after?
Old 01-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Your camber and caster were fine, so all they adjusted was your toe.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Camber is how your wheels lean in or out. Negative is where top is closer together, positive, bottom closer together.
Caster is how far off from the turning axis the wheel rotate. Think shopping cart wheels. Positive is rear of axis.
Toe is are they angled in or out. Negative pointed towards each other at the front of the vehicle, positive, away from each other.

also see
http://www.aa1car.com/library/wheel_alignment.htm
that is good explanation man thanks
Old 01-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
that is good explanation man thanks

Yes it was, he got a rep point for that!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post
Your camber and caster were fine, so all they adjusted was your toe.

And txs to you too!

Q, how come the rear, being a live axle is not 0.0 degrees?
Old 01-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks.
For not being zero, do you mean toe?
I'm speculating here, but I think it gives room to adjust your thrust angle if it needs tweeking.
Your thrust angle is the difference from the center line of your frame to the actual tracking direction of all four wheels.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #12
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
And txs to you too!

Q, how come the rear, being a live axle is not 0.0 degrees?
Real life tolerances. The rear toe of a car/truck with a live axle will always be close enough unless it's been in a wreck. There's no way to align it but that's fine as it never really goes out of alignment anyway. There's no steering involved and it's all bolted down very solidly.

Those full size gm's with the fancy rear steering may have some sort of alignment in the rear though.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #13
Quote:
Thanks.
For not being zero, do you mean toe?
I'm speculating here, but I think it gives room to adjust your thrust angle if it needs tweeking.
Your thrust angle is the difference from the center line of your frame to the actual tracking direction of all four wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post
Real life tolerances. The rear toe of a car/truck with a live axle will always be close enough unless it's been in a wreck. There's no way to align it but that's fine as it never really goes out of alignment anyway. There's no steering involved and it's all bolted down very solidly.

Those full size gm's with the fancy rear steering may have some sort of alignment in the rear though.
Txs y'all! Based on the number of views, I think a lot of peeps (myself included) got an education!