Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

LR UCA install question

Old 01-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
Taco Roja
Ohbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud of

Navy: 1987-1997
Name: Brian
Ohbrian's Tacoma Gallery
LR UCA install question

I was preparing to install a set of these myself this weekend. I just finished watching the install video and found out I need some kind of special tool to get the ball joints off. I have no such tool and would hate to buy one to use once. Is there any alternative method?
Old 01-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
LR UCA? If you mean the UCA (upper control arm) the ball joint is pressed in.
If you mean the lower control arm, you dont need a special tool but a puller or pickle fork helps went removing the ball joint and disconnecting the tie rod end.
I just used a pry bar and a hammer to crack the lower ball joint loose.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Pickle forks are pretty cheap btw, local parts store has them for $7.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
DOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDOUBLLD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DOUBLLD's Tacoma Gallery
It's called a hammer hit the control arm right where the ball joint goes through with some force an it pops right out trust me I do it for a living. Pickle forks do work also but will 9 times out of ten mess up the boot which u don't want. If u want the pickle for go to advance auto u can rent a set an return it for nothing
Old 01-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
go to home depot and get a 4lb. maul. don't try without it. you will need it. trust me.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #6

Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLLD View Post
It's called a hammer hit the control arm right where the ball joint goes through with some force an it pops right out trust me I do it for a living. Pickle forks do work also but will 9 times out of ten mess up the boot which u don't want. If u want the pickle for go to advance auto u can rent a set an return it for nothing
I used to do it for a living, and they dont all come out that easy. Example, my right side wouldnt move when I didnt my ball joints last week. I had to get my brother to stand on the bar (pressure on the ball joint) while I hit it as hard as I could with a hammer about 10 times before it let go.
True about the pickle fork though, they do have a tendency to ruin the boot.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
ttran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
ttran's Tacoma Gallery
I used a BFH on mine, and after 10 minutes of banging away it was out.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
lonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to all

Name: Lonnie
lonzorizo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
LR UCA? If you mean the UCA (upper control arm) the ball joint is pressed in.
If you mean the lower control arm, you dont need a special tool but a puller or pickle fork helps went removing the ball joint and disconnecting the tie rod end.
I just used a pry bar and a hammer to crack the lower ball joint loose.
I assume he was referring to light racing uca's.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #9
Taco Roja
Ohbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud of

Navy: 1987-1997
Name: Brian
Ohbrian's Tacoma Gallery
OK brute force it is PS I dont' know if any of you have see their install video, but he uses some kind of press that looks like a C clamp. I have big hammers I'll get that fugger out.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #10
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
you'll want a ball joint press kit (available for rent at o'reilly, advanced auto, etc.) to put the new one in though... just make sure everything's lining up straight as you start to put force on the ball joint. Don't want it to start going sideways or things are liable to break!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
brs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura about
brs127s's Tacoma Gallery
Upper ball joints--a ball joint press

Lower ball joints--Pitman arm puller

You can rent them from most part stores as others have said. I wasn't so lucky with my upper ball joints. I tried for hours with a ball joint press and had no luck. I ended up tearing the front end down completely and taking the spindle assemblies to the dealership to have them press out the upper ball joints.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
jij0226 is on a distinguished road
Name: josh
jij0226's Tacoma Gallery
I installed icon uca on my 4runner 3 weeks ago. i bought the press and had trouble getting it to work. the upper ball joint kept wiggling around and the press would fall off. So i got a torch and pb blasted it for about 10-15 minutes, and beat the crap out of it. I hammered it right out.

If you go this route make sure to remove the c clip or it wont go anywhere.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #13
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLLD View Post

Yep 3 or 4 good pops on this location with a BMFH usually does the trick...