Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Oil and filter question!!!

Old 01-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Hektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud of

Hektor's Tacoma Gallery
Oil and filter question!!!

Hi guys I chance my oil couple days ago. I always used mobil 1 full synthetic. This time I used amsoil and the engine sounds weird, so tomorrow Im going back with Mobil 1 again. My question is can I used the same oil filter or do I need to exchange the filter as well??
Old 01-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektor View Post
Hi guys I chance my oil couple days ago. I always used mobil 1 full synthetic. This time I used amsoil and the engine sounds weird, so tomorrow Im going back with Mobil 1 again. My question is can I used the same oil filter or do I need to exchange the filter as well??
You do not need to change the filter if it is brand new. However I don't think the type of oil would have an impact on how your engine sounds.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
You do not need to change the filter if it is brand new. However I don't think the type of oil would have an impact on how your engine sounds.
This ^^^
Old 01-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Hektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud of

Hektor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Its weird I start hearing a weird knockin sound just after the oil change. So Im going back to Mobil 1 just for a peace of mind. Also 5w 30 is correct oil weight for our trucks right guys??
Old 01-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Its weird I start hearing a weird knockin sound just after the oil change. So Im going back to Mobil 1 just for a peace of mind. Also 5w 30 is correct oil weight for our trucks right guys??
10w-30 is better on the first gens.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #6

Hektor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
10w-30 is better on the first gens.
Wow really!! I read here that most of the guys used 5w 30
Old 01-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Wow really!! I read here that most of the guys used 5w 30
In colder climates, maybe. I dont think anyplace in TX would warrant the use of a 5w oil
Old 01-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In colder climates, maybe. I dont think anyplace in TX would warrant the use of a 5w oil
It's like 50 degrees here right now. You don't consider that a cooler climate?!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #9

Hektor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wow I always used 5w 30
Old 01-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wow I always used 5w 30
I've used it for 3 years and we're both still alive to talk about it
Old 01-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #11

Hektor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
True that bro. Well Im going back to Mobil 1 tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good one.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #13

Hektor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do u used 5w 30 in the summer as well???
Old 01-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #14
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
that's freezing....
Old 01-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #15

Quote:
First gen vs. Second gen. The second gens call for 5w-30, where as the first genners call for a 10w.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
The manual specs 5w-30. Some people run 10w-30 if it doesn't get cold. Since the warm temp weight (30) is the same, it doesn't matter what you run in the summer. Only in winter in cold climates does it matter what the winter weight is. Some people even run 0w-30. If you burn a little oil you can run 10w-40. I can go on and on. Needless to say, the reason your engine might be knocking is the superior amsoil formula needs some time to clean and restore lubrication in the engine. I would leave it in. Best oil out there.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
The manual specs 5w-30.
My first gen said 10w-30 on the cap, but regardless, you make valid points.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #18
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My first gen said 10w-30 on the cap, but regardless, you make valid points.
I think my 96 used 10w-30 but my 03 is 5w-30.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...5vzfe/lubr.pdf
Old 01-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
I think my 96 used 10w-30 but my 03 is 5w-30.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...5vzfe/lubr.pdf
Mine was a '00....:shrug: