Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

steering play

Old 01-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
beach_yota03 is on a distinguished road

Name: jonny
beach_yota03's Tacoma Gallery
steering play

i have a lot of play in my wheel and when i move the tire side to side the rack moves, if i replace the bushings will that fix it and tighten it up?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
haddix will become famous soon enoughhaddix will become famous soon enough

haddix's Tacoma Gallery
Sure will. I just had to do this same thing before I could get my truck aligned. Part # 8-10101G.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
beach_yota03 is on a distinguished road

Name: jonny
beach_yota03's Tacoma Gallery
how hard is it to do? what do i have to look forward to?
Old 01-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
haddix will become famous soon enoughhaddix will become famous soon enough

haddix's Tacoma Gallery
Overall it was not a bad job. A little more time consuming then expected but what job isn't.. Here are a few write-ups that really helped.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...ering_bushing/
http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamo...ckbushings.htm

Good luck!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
lonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to all

Name: Lonnie
lonzorizo's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah not that hard to do. But I'm retarded and didn't know I needed the front end in the air, so wasted a lot of time trying to get the steering rack off for one of the bushings lol. Also, this helped me drastically!
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...d.php?t=161689
Looks difficult, but it's not at all, I did it in the dark with a shitty little lantern...twice lol. There's a vid of it in the vid section too, safetydangtv I think it was called.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach_yota03 View Post
i have a lot of play in my wheel and when i move the tire side to side the rack moves, if i replace the bushings will that fix it and tighten it up?
The rack moves in its mounts, or do the actual rack ends move back and forth?

Check out your inner and outer tie rod ends too.

My R&P just shit the bed so I am saving up for a new R&P and bushings

At least when all that junk is new it will feel great
Old 01-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Texasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud of

Name: Chance
Texasdynaryder's Tacoma Gallery
Did mine today.... Used wheelers R&P bushings. mine still had just a touch of play afterwardsbut nothing major...
A big pry bar and an impact helps a lot and makes it faster.. Energy suspension probably is a little better product.. Just my $.02
Old 01-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdynaryder View Post
Did mine today.... Used wheelers R&P bushings. mine still had just a touch of play afterwardsbut nothing major...
A big pry bar and an impact helps a lot and makes it faster.. Energy suspension probably is a little better product.. Just my $.02
IIRC, the wheelers bushings are energy suspension bushings.