Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Upgrading Brakes

Old 01-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
milehighliving is on a distinguished road
milehighliving's Tacoma Gallery
Upgrading Brakes

I've been shadowing this forum for a while now, decided it was time to make my first post.

I have a stock 2003 Tacoma 4x4
My front rotors are shot and need to be replaced. Instead of paying the stealership I want to replace the brakes myself. I did this on my previous car (jeep grand cherokee) and upgraded to slotted/drilled rotors and heavy duty brake pads. I definately noticed the increased stopping power.

Before everyone gets on my ass about using the search button, I've already read several threads.

I drive to the mountains about 3x a week to snowboard, and occasionally will take her out on some small trails. This summer I intend to do a little more serious wheeling.

My question to you guys is should I upgrade to slotted/drilled rotors and heavy duty brake pads even though I'm running stock? I plan on lifting my taco and adding 33's to it eventually, probably this summer.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Can't go wrong with Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads. Or:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Call Edwin at RaceShopper.com and order some SP Performance slotted rotors and Hawk pads. Install them, bleed your brakes, adjust your rear drums, and you'll be fine.

If you want a little more performance then swap out your flexible rubber brake lines for some stainless braided lines.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
^^^^I forgot that 1st gens have that option.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLharry View Post
I think you'll need some spacers or aftermarket wheels. Iirc, the stock rims didnt have enough clearance. I think some nice sloted/drilled rotors should do the thrick.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
I think you'll need some spacers or aftermarket wheels. Iirc, the stock rims didnt have enough clearance. I think some nice sloted/drilled rotors should do the thrick.
You just need 16s or bigger. The stock 16 alloys on the 01-04 Tacomas also came on the Tundras/4Runners/Sequoias.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
alove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
alove0750's Tacoma Gallery
I got my rotors from brakeperformance.com they are a good bit cheaper and for the money are great quality! $117 shipped to my door. Then I got Carquest BCD grade pads. I have a lot of added weight with bumpers/winch, sliders, etc... these made a big difference in my stopping abillity.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
ManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ManMan's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't spend extra on slotted or cross drilled rotors, not really any benefit for standard vehicles.

Good pads on the other hand! I just put Hawk LTS and SS lines on my 2nd gen and they made a large difference!
Old 01-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
alove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
alove0750's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know... I didn't think they would have but I saw a noticable difference with them, but that's just me.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
1998tacoma4x4 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
1998tacoma4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I'm upgrading to ebc dura last rotors and green stuff heavy duty 7000 series pads this weekend. I'll post back my results!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #12
milehighliving is on a distinguished road
milehighliving's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm definitely set on getting some NICE pads at the very least. The tundra idea seems legit too, I'll be doing some more research into that, especially if I don't have to upgrade my rims.

I was looking at these EBC brakes here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EBC-GD7235/

And these HAWK performance pads heres:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HWK-HB316Y-670/

Thanks again
Old 01-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
As mentioned above, do yourself a favor and call Edwin at RaceShopper.com for prices on the Hawk pads.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #14
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
I currently have slotted/drilled rotors (previous owner put them on) and Hawk LTS pads. Stops pretty well, given the size of the brakes of our trucks.

Next upgrade will definitely be Tundra brakes though. Probably next year when the pads/rotors wear out.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #15
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Cross-Drilled/Slotted Rotors will keep the rotor cooler and help prevent Rotor warping. I would recommend the Ceramic pads to go with the rotors.
Tacoma Brakes: http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomabrakes.htm
Old 01-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #16
1998tacoma4x4 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
1998tacoma4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighliving View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm definitely set on getting some NICE pads at the very least. The tundra idea seems legit too, I'll be doing some more research into that, especially if I don't have to upgrade my rims.

I was looking at these EBC brakes here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EBC-GD7235/

And these HAWK performance pads heres:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HWK-HB316Y-670/

Thanks again
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EBC-USR7235/
These are the rotors I purchased. I preferred the black sinc coating compared to the gold. I have no experience with Hawk pads, but i have only heard great things. Post back the setup you end up choosing.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #17
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighliving View Post
I've been shadowing this forum for a while now, decided it was time to make my first post.

I have a stock 2003 Tacoma 4x4
My front rotors are shot and need to be replaced. Instead of paying the stealership I want to replace the brakes myself. I did this on my previous car (jeep grand cherokee) and upgraded to slotted/drilled rotors and heavy duty brake pads. I definately noticed the increased stopping power.

Before everyone gets on my ass about using the search button, I've already read several threads.

I drive to the mountains about 3x a week to snowboard, and occasionally will take her out on some small trails. This summer I intend to do a little more serious wheeling.

My question to you guys is should I upgrade to slotted/drilled rotors and heavy duty brake pads even though I'm running stock? I plan on lifting my taco and adding 33's to it eventually, probably this summer.
Where in Colorado? And where do you wheel?

On my Legacy (after reading about upgrades to rotors, etc on the forums) all I did was put on some Hawk pads and the performance was incredibly noticeable.

I think you'd be fine with doing what the 2nd post says in his thread.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #18
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998tacoma4x4 View Post
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EBC-USR7235/
These are the rotors I purchased. I preferred the black sinc coating compared to the gold. I have no experience with Hawk pads, but i have only heard great things. Post back the setup you end up choosing.
The thing with coatings is that they are gone the first time you his the brakes.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #19
Tail Chaser is on a distinguished road
Tail Chaser's Tacoma Gallery
Autozone C-max ceramic pads are great, if there available for the Tacoma. I used these with great results on another vehical & lifetime warranty on them too.
Those pads and some slotted rotors would be a good set-up, IMO.
I don't recommed drilled rotors, they can crack, esp. if subjected to heavy braking.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #20
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I have ceramic pads and I love them. They almost grab too tight - at slow speeds like pulling out of the driveway and I just lightly tap the brake it feels like they want to lock up. Great performance on the road, quiet, and no brake dust on your wheels. win-win.