Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

parking brake help

Old 01-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
parking brake help

My parking brake has needed some adjusting for a while now and i think not doing it has caused a problem. yesterday while sitting backwards on a boat ramp i had to crank down on it all the way real hard to get it to hold the truck in position. when i got back i unloaded the boat and i could smell very slight brake pad smell. so i rolled up a hill, stopped, and let off the brake and it had to break free of the parking brake. you could feel it in the truck. The smell is only coming from the passenger side rear tire. will simply re-tightening the e-brake allow it to pull it loose? The only solution i can come up with is that there is not enough tension on the cable to completely disengage it. My normal braking is fine. it nice and firm and i dont have to push down on it very far and my fluid levels are normal.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
it seemed that tightening the ebrake worked. i stopped on a hill and let off the brake and did not feel it have to break free of anything this time
Old 03-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
DFDFirefighter is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
DFDFirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having the exact same issue. Got my brakes done and then noticed that the ebrake wasn't engaging if I was still in drive or reverse. Then I noticed some squeaking at low speed, hot brake smell after driving on the highway, and felt resistance if I let my foot off the accelerator. I brought it back to the shop and they said the parking brake cable was stretched and they weren't disengaging all the way. Tried to quote me $400 to take care of it but I can't help but think it's an easy enough fix.

Did you find any threads on here that addressed this? Or have any pics of what you did?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
A stretched cable will not engage the rear brakes completely, it will still disengage completely.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Try hand adjusting the star wheel inside the drum.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if this will help
http://www.lieblweb.com/ebrakeadjustment.html
Old 03-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Tacomang is on a distinguished road

Tacomang's Tacoma Gallery
Just try re-adjusting the cable first, it's super easy. May need a new cable(I had a similar problem in my T100 and it needed a new one). I feel like adjusting it will fix the problem. Good luck..