Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anything I can do to help a shift knob off gas?

Old 01-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Anything I can do to help a shift knob off gas?

So I posted this in the detailing forum... figured I'd try it here for more attention

I bought a tranny shift knob similar to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-TRD-Leat...item1c231d312e

It was made in Taiwan and has that awful China manufacturing smell. It's so bad I couldn't install it in my truck yet. (I had it in there for 30 minutes, then when I got in the truck to go somewhere, my eyes were burning from the smell)

It's in the garage right now trying to air out.

Is there anything I can do, like 303 aerospace it, to help facilitate it not smelling like a chemical/glue/horrible factory?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Id leave it in direct sunlight for awhile to offgass.
Thanks, I'll try that.

I love the shift knob (it doesn't have red stitching like the one in the photo), it just smells unbelievably god-awful
Old 01-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Run it through the washer.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
Run it through the washer.

Clothes washer or dishwasher?

It's leather (or leather-ish). I also don't know how durable the stitching is etc..

Quote:
Would the dishwasher effect the glue?
I am hesitant too. There are two TRD emblems at the base of the knob (which I already foresee having to super glue on better) which would definitely suffer from either a clothes or dish washer. Not to mention, as you say, the glue holding the leather to the knob core itself.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Would the dishwasher effect the glue?
Damn auto correct. Regular washer. I think its the same concept as leather shoes in a washing machine.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
Febreeze fixes anything LOL, try rubbing it with some vinegar, let the vinegar soak in good...