Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Just got a 98 Taco 4x4 4cyl 5spd.--Questions

Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
98Woodrow is on a distinguished road
98Woodrow's Tacoma Gallery
Just got a 98 Taco 4x4 4cyl 5spd.--Questions

102k miles. Truck has been sitting in the woods for over 5 years. (Long story.) Charged up the battery and it fired right up.:-) Seems like it is full of mouse nests, hornets nests and assorted animal detritus. Covered with green slime from being in the dank woods.

Extremely spotty maintenance history from prev owner. He was 2d owner and likely did nothing but gas it up and change the oil for the 70k he drove it.

Have it in a shop now for general look over--I suspect those guys are going to want to know what I want done. I am thinking the whole list of stuff for the 90k major service, including timing belt and all fluids.

Any other suggestions?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Woodrow View Post
102k miles. Truck has been sitting in the woods for over 5 years. (Long story.) Charged up the battery and it fired right up.:-) Seems like it is full of mouse nests, hornets nests and assorted animal detritus. Covered with green slime from being in the dank woods.

Extremely spotty maintenance history from prev owner. He was 2d owner and likely did nothing but gas it up and change the oil for the 70k he drove it.

Have it in a shop now for general look over--I suspect those guys are going to want to know what I want done. I am thinking the whole list of stuff for the 90k major service, including timing belt and all fluids.

Any other suggestions?
4 cylinder=no timing belt; it has a timing chain.

I would say replace all the fluids (tranny, T-case, diffs, engine oil)

Plugs/wires

Fuel filter

Air filter is probably all jacked up from sitting and getting eaten by rats (hope they didn't find their way too far into the intake, or into your dash and wiring

Clean MAF
Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Woodrow View Post

Any other suggestions?
Too late now, but if a truck has been sitting in the woods for 5 years, the oil was probably coagulated a bit. More knowledgeable guys here can tell you if firing it up and driving it under that condition did anything to the motor that you should now investigate.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
pics of the truck? and how much did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking

id change all the fluids and plugs
Old 01-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
Thanks.

*(
Old 01-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Too late now, but if a truck has been sitting in the woods for 5 years, the oil was probably coagulated a bit. More knowledgeable guys here can tell you if firing it up and driving it under that condition did anything to the motor that you should now investigate.

Well it sat for 5 years, but a couple times a year he fired it up and drove it around on the property a little. Shop will definitely conduct a compression test, but it does not seem to be smoking, even with the 5 year old 87 octane in it.:-)
Old 01-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
pics of the truck? and how much did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking

id change all the fluids and plugs

No pics at this time, but I will take some before we clean it up. It is some kind of natural marvel. As to the price, that is still under negotiation.:-) He is a friend, and the repairs it is now undergoing will be part of the price. The shop guy has known both of us for many years. he will make it right if it is possible.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #8
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I'd like to see some pictures of this slimed beast.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Change the belts (A/C, PS, FAN), and upper/lower radiator hoses.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
PkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of light
Name: David
PkTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck. I wouldn't pay more then 2 grand shop time included.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #11
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, careful of gas tank, it could seem ok now but god know it could have rust and crap on the walls of the tank and could clog up the lines,
I would change everything, nothing worse sore a car/truck is to just sit.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:03 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PkTaco View Post
Good luck. I wouldn't pay more then 2 grand shop time included.
I paid well over that including the shop bill, but it is still a steal. The truck runs great, using the eggshell mod gets me better mpg than the sticker says out on the highway. The bearings and clutch are tight, I did some suspension upgrades (timbrens, new shocks) and put on a good set of LT235-75-15s.

It is ready to rock and roll. It does not stumble or sputter. The bearings are in great shape judging by the way it will roll away on a slight grade if you do not set the brake or leave it in gear.

You may turn out to be right, but I have put 3,000 mi. on it in 6 weeks and taken a couple 500 mile round trips in it. I have hauled firewood and towed a boat. It is right, if my 40 years of driving/tinkering experience means anything. On the hiway it will creep up to 75 if I do not watch it. Still getting used to no cruise control for hiway driving.

The slime came off with a couple car washes, but I still have a kind of cloudy stuff on the hood I will buff out when the weather gets better. Headlights are yellowed badly but still serviceable.

In other words, it runs well and it needs some stuff fixed up. Just what I expected.

Another poster asked to see pics, but alas I never took any, and I am sorry. It was nasty looking and would make a great conversation piece. It had pretty good Bridgestone p225s on it when I bought it, that since it was in the shade were not cracked, but they cracked pretty quick once I started running it, so I replaced them.

I fully expect to get at least 100k out of this truck for just over 5k original cost including the shop work and upgrades.