Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help! Tire Rub

Old 12-02-2008, 08:56 PM   #21
RedTaco2134 will become famous soon enoughRedTaco2134 will become famous soon enough

Army: E-1
Name: Scott
RedTaco2134's Tacoma Gallery
BFH Mod!! Those " rub marks" are reference points, so you know where to hit/or remove the necessary area. j/k I understand it is the frame.

Go buy some wheel spacers, and call it good. Cheapest fix IMHO. or a leveling kit, or some kind of lift. Maybe it is a sign that you must "bite, the hullet" and get a lift.?
Old 12-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #22
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
i would get a lift if i had the money and my dad wants to repair it in the cheapest way possible...went to look for wheel spacers today didn't find any places that had them. Im going to try trails west (local truck shop) and see if they have any. I bought my toolbox there and had some cool truck stuff, so a nice reason to look around...
Old 12-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #23
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure how close you are to the Summit store, but they don't carry the bolt on spacers. Don't waste your time driving there.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #24
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Does'nt hurt anything and don't waste your time painting it.... It will wear right back off.... I was there before!
Old 12-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #25
Dennis = sinneD
Mr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to all
Mr.Fahrenheit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The rubbing you are experiencing is normal for that tire size and stock wheels on your truck. Its not hurting anything, just the paint on the frame, and some inside tread. Ways to fix it are: Lift it, new wheels with different off set, smaller tires, wheel spacers. I know lots of people that run that size and have some frame rub, and dont worry about it.

chris is the man. agree with everything 100%. I went up to 265/75/16 and they rub as well, not worried about it might fix down the road but no rush. i got a 3 inch lift for it but unsure if that will change anything.

as for the cheapest way to fix it id say wheel spacers.....
Old 12-05-2008, 10:05 PM   #26
dustinuhls is on a distinguished road

dustinuhls's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 3" lift on my truck w/ the same BFG ATs, but in a 285/75-16 on the same stock rims. I have the exact same rub on my frame. I don't think the lift will help you, b/c that won't move the tire further away from the frame, just give you more clearance in the fenderwells, which apparently you don't have a problem w/ rubbing there. New rims w/ more offset would fix it, but you say you're on a budget so I'd suggest wheel spacers.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WHEEL-SPACERS-ADAPTERS-6-LUG-1-5-TOYOTA-TACOMA-TUNDRA_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42614QQihZ018QQi temZ280291589136QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Good Luck!
Old 12-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #27
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinuhls View Post
I have a 3" lift on my truck w/ the same BFG ATs, but in a 285/75-16 on the same stock rims. I have the exact same rub on my frame. I don't think the lift will help you, b/c that won't move the tire further away from the frame, just give you more clearance in the fenderwells, which apparently you don't have a problem w/ rubbing there. New rims w/ more offset would fix it, but you say you're on a budget so I'd suggest wheel spacers.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WHEEL-SPACERS-ADAPTERS-6-LUG-1-5-TOYOTA-TACOMA-TUNDRA_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42614QQihZ018QQi temZ280291589136QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Good Luck!
A lift will fix it as the frame will be moved a little farther from the part of the tire that rubs.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #28
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so i got spacers today from trails west and they were only $15 for two of them. I'll get around to installing them eventually...
Old 12-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #29
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Heres some pics of the wheel spacers

Old 12-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #30
Dennis = sinneD
Mr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to all
uh...are you gonna make your own holes because i dont count 6 of them......
Old 12-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #31
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fahrenheit View Post
uh...are you gonna make your own holes because i dont count 6 of them......
Its a "universal" spacer. There are 6 holes, just a couple of them are oblong.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:36 PM   #32
Dennis = sinneD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Its a "universal" spacer. There are 6 holes, just a couple of them are oblong.
ahhhh, i see said the blind man.

curious any issues when installing those, taking some thread away from the stud and lug nuts???
Old 12-06-2008, 04:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fahrenheit View Post
ahhhh, i see said the blind man.

curious any issues when installing those, taking some thread away from the stud and lug nuts???
They should be used with longer lug nuts.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #34
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
i had the same thing happen on my 02 4Runner, stock tire size was 265/70/16 and i put BFG A/T 265/75/16. It rubbed at full turn but it wasnt a problem, i just ignored it and nothing bad ever happened.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #35
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
I want to stop the rubbing on the frame so i can prime/paint it so it doesn't deteriorate and rust out with all the salt used on the roads here. My 87 pickup had frame problems and i dont want to mess with that stuff again.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #36
jayheath2002 is on a distinguished road

Army: UH_60 Helicopther Mechanic
jayheath2002's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same problem with my truck. Its lifted 2 1/2 inches and I'm running 285/75/16 BFG Mud Terrains on stock rims. The rub the frame on a tight turn. I put 1/4" spacers just like yours but they threw th wheels of balance so bad that I took them back out. At 60 my truck shook bad.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #37
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
So i took my truck to toyota the other day for an oil change and to look over everything and my dad's usual mechanic looked at the frame rub and said the rub wasn't too bad and he said wheel spacers would fix the problem and didn't say anything about the front suspension.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:22 PM   #38
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
In Ohio, you need to worry about exposed steel. What is ok down south does not always apply in the north where heavy salt use is the norm.

Get it to stop rubbing using whatever option you decide on, but definitely prep and re-seal the scuffed up area after the fact.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #39
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Put the wheel spacers on and no more frame rub and it wasnt too hard installing them. I drove it around to make sure there were no wheel vibrations or other weird things and it seems fine.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #40
jayheath2002 is on a distinguished road

Army: UH_60 Helicopther Mechanic
jayheath2002's Tacoma Gallery
I too re-installed my spacers after having my tires re-balanced. Good news is no vibration. It wasn't the spacers. Now I'm happy with no rub or vibration.