1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Interior trim color change questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by HammerHead, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Jan 27, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    HammerHead

HammerHead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD OffRoad PreRunner SR5 DC
    Pipe dream right now, but wanted to know what you guys (gals) thought about this. My Taco has the beige interior, and although not an issue, I would love to go to an all black interior (maybe some red accents, haven't figured the exact color scheme yet). Has anyone murdered their interior? I've been prowling around the forums, but haven't come across anything yet.

Questions:
    1) Did Toyota ever do a black interior (mainly the dash, but other trim and molding)? My thought is I could slowly gather the pieces over time with visits to my local junkyards. Figure it won't cost much if I gradually collect.

2) What do you think about using a bed-liner (smooth finish) on some of the moldings/trim and in particular the dash? I would want an original look. Not even going to attempt if it comes out looking like crap, or clearly sprayed on.

3) Keep hitting the pipe Jake, it ain't going to happen unless you go custom and get ready to shell out your kids college funds.

The carpet, headliner, and seats could be easily addressed (unless you guys know something about replacing the headliner, a buddy of mine says its pretty easy, just painful), its mainly the dash I would have concerns with.

Just thinking outloud really. This project would be on down the road, or remain in the pipe so to speak.

Jake

2. Jan 27, 2012 at 10:36 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    1. I think in the 01-04 models they made a charcoal interior, which is as close to black as you can get. I have seen black carpet kits for sale too for around $120.

2. I think it would look horrible. I would just use dash paint and vinyl paint on the vinyl parts.

I am slowly going to change the color scheme on my interior also. I currently have that light gray/blue interior. Part of me wants to paint the dash but I am hesitant because of how shitty it might look and truth be told I've always been a "function over fashion" guy. That said, that light gray/blue color is the best I've seen for not being obtrusive with glare. Here in Colorado, it's always sunny and having dashes that "glare" into your field of vision has always been a pet peeve of mine. For some reason though this color doesn't glare much and blends in nicely with the color of the pavement in front of me. Does that make sense? Plus, anything to do to cut down on heat retention in the summers.... black dashes are brutal here.

What I have planned:

Keep the dash the same color.
    Replace the shifter boots with a black one
    Paint the trim around the shifter boots black
    Paint the center console/cup holder assembly black.
    Replace carpet with black carpet
    Reupholster the god awful fabric on the doors and in rear of xtra cab with some kind of textured looking black fabric
    Eventually get black (or nice black/gray Wet Okoles) seat covers
    Replace stock 5MT shift knob with the black TRD one I just got
    Paint the stock transfer case shift knob black

3. Jan 27, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    HammerHead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Thank you! Most excellent reply (sorry if that sounded like "Bill and Ted"). I agree, its the dash that gives me fits, and I know exactly what you're saying in regards to the glare. Perhaps the best route to go for me, is to start collecting the grey/blue pieces with an eventual change of the dash to that color. And I forgot to take into account the seat belts, but those should be easy enough to dye with fabric paint.

Have you ever used vinyl paint? Like you, I'm scared of spraying anything on my current dash.

In Atlanta, it gets hot as hell in the summer too, so I'm taking that into account as well. I've had a black interior in an old Civic, and although it gets hot, it looks so sweet. I guess if I had the gray interior, going black would not be such an obstacle.

Are you going to add this project to a build thread? I'd love to follow the progression. I may just have to deal with the beige. :(

4. Jan 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM
    Project.paradigm

Project.paradigm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oil Country,Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4 Dub cab
    Airlift rear air bags. Hood struts. sockmonkey bedside decal. TRD supercharger(not installed). Deckplate. Grey wire mod. Extended rear diff breather. 6000k HIDS. 18"Magnaflow. Truxxx 3" level kit. (Temporary) Wet Okole seat covers. BoxRocket bed rack. Bora 0.75 wheel spacers All pro sliders. BAMF BPV. B&M trans cooler.
    Would you consider a black dash mat? No glare, easy install. Just a thought.

5. Jan 27, 2012 at 12:58 PM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    The dash is actually plastic... at least that's what I gather from my "knock on it" test.

I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of the gray interior I have (the light gray/blue color) but like I said "function over fashion." I reckon I can make it look nicer with more black trim pieces, fabric, carpet, etc...

Definitely will. Trust me, you want nothing to do with my build. It's aptly named, "Madjik Man's Laugh at/with Him Build"

Speaking for myself, of course, I think dash mats are tacky and ugly. (no offense to those who have them)

6. Jan 27, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
  7. Jan 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM
    HammerHead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Ya know, they have come a long way in that area, but my grandad had one in his old Cutlass, and I think I would feel like an old dude with one. Nothing wrong with them, I just think I would associate it with my grandad.

8. Jan 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM
    HammerHead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Lol, I hear ya. I'm far from being a master mechanic. Haven't started a build thread yet, but got a growing list. I'll need to keep up with yours once you get started. I'm thinking the interior is something I may try to start in the Fall.

I went to that site, but it doesn't list beige/black as an option in my make/model/year. Hmmm. My wife is slowly convincing me to add more black to the interior, and decrease the amount of beige, making the beige more of an accent color. Thats probably a good idea since it would allow me to leave the dash like you're doing.

9. Feb 16, 2012 at 7:24 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Might be a bit of an old thread, but I've had good luck with those paints for plastic/vinyl.

I've repainted Qform kick panels for a 4Runner we used to have and latest project was just painted a map light mirror to match the interior on the Tacoma.

The biggest thing is prep! The surface needs to be clean, clean, clean. I'll often use a plastic primer first and then spray with the color. Just light, light coats of the color coat and build it up to make it even.

Really the only issue with general store bought plastic paints is color choice can be somewhat limited. I'd think black would be pretty easy though.

10. Mar 23, 2023 at 10:29 AM
    Freddie S

Freddie S Make it happen, Make it nice.

Member:
    First Name:
    Freddie
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 2.7 MT 4x4
    Bench to bucket swap, steering wheel swap, full interior recolor, map light swap.

I just did this exact transition on my 2001 Tacoma reg cab.

I use the DUPLICOLOR adhesion prep spray paired with the DUPLICOLOR flat black vinyl/plastic dye. I did the ENTIRE interior and used about 4 cans of black @$15 a pop and 1.5 cans of the adhesion spray.

I am in love with the results.

here are some pics!

*also did the bucket seat, map light and steering wheel swaps on this truck. I added a Lexus console (not plug & play) & new AC knobs.

Before/after
    upload_2023-3-23_10-26-26.png
    upload_2023-3-23_10-19-38.jpg
    upload_2023-3-23_10-28-7.jpg

THatt likes this.
  11. Mar 23, 2023 at 10:43 AM
    1stGenTaco4x4

1stGenTaco4x4 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BeeGee
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    1999 5spd 4cyl 4x4
    A previous owner painted the interior hard plastic pieces, and it is peeling EVERYWHERE. Looks like crap!
    Friend suggested painting over the crappy paint. Wondering what to do.

interior.jpg

paint chipping.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  12. Mar 23, 2023 at 10:49 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Thread started over 10 years ago, OP hasn't been on since 2014.

You might not get a reply from him.:D

But your interior looks nice. :thumbsup:

13. Mar 23, 2023 at 10:58 AM
    Freddie S

Freddie S Make it happen, Make it nice.

Member:
    First Name:
    Freddie
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 2.7 MT 4x4
    Bench to bucket swap, steering wheel swap, full interior recolor, map light swap.
    Oh I’m not looking for a reply. Just putting info out there for whoever needs it. :)
    I’ve gotten so much from this forum that I just want to contribute however I can.

Thanks!

You might not get a reply from him.:D

But your interior looks nice. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Products Discussed in

To Top