Originally Posted by HammerHead
Pipe dream right now, but wanted to know what you guys (gals) thought about this. My Taco has the beige interior, and although not an issue, I would love to go to an all black interior (maybe some red accents, haven't figured the exact color scheme yet). Has anyone murdered their interior? I've been prowling around the forums, but haven't come across anything yet.
1) Did Toyota ever do a black interior (mainly the dash, but other trim and molding)? My thought is I could slowly gather the pieces over time with visits to my local junkyards. Figure it won't cost much if I gradually collect.
2) What do you think about using a bed-liner (smooth finish) on some of the moldings/trim and in particular the dash? I would want an original look. Not even going to attempt if it comes out looking like crap, or clearly sprayed on.
3) Keep hitting the pipe Jake, it ain't going to happen unless you go custom and get ready to shell out your kids college funds.
The carpet, headliner, and seats could be easily addressed (unless you guys know something about replacing the headliner, a buddy of mine says its pretty easy, just painful), its mainly the dash I would have concerns with.
Just thinking outloud really. This project would be on down the road, or remain in the pipe so to speak.
1. I think in the 01-04 models they made a charcoal interior, which is as close to black as you can get. I have seen black carpet kits for sale too for around $120.
2. I think it would look horrible. I would just use dash paint and vinyl paint on the vinyl parts.
I am slowly going to change the color scheme on my interior also. I currently have that light gray/blue interior. Part of me wants to paint the dash but I am hesitant because of how shitty it might look and truth be told I've always been a "function over fashion" guy. That said, that light gray/blue color is the best I've seen for not being obtrusive with glare. Here in Colorado, it's always sunny and having dashes that "glare" into your field of vision has always been a pet peeve of mine. For some reason though this color doesn't glare much and blends in nicely with the color of the pavement in front of me. Does that make sense? Plus, anything to do to cut down on heat retention in the summers.... black dashes are brutal here.
What I have planned:
Keep the dash the same color.
Replace the shifter boots with a black one
Paint the trim around the shifter boots black
Paint the center console/cup holder assembly black.
Replace carpet with black carpet
Reupholster the god awful fabric on the doors and in rear of xtra cab with some kind of textured looking black fabric
Eventually get black (or nice black/gray Wet Okoles) seat covers
Replace stock 5MT shift knob with the black TRD one I just got
Paint the stock transfer case shift knob black