1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Caution concerning lift kits and such

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Jim Mann, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Nov 14, 2006 at 8:38 PM
    Jim Mann

Jim Mann [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I wanted to share a caution with you folks, observations I have learned in 1 month of Tacoma ownership.

Observation #1
    My truck came with a 3" lift kit already installed, and this made it too high for me to get in comfortably. My hips do not cooperate, and I had knee surgery in June. I paid to have the lift kit uninstalled, getting the truck back to the original height. The tires give it more than enough lift. The interesting thing is that the offroad shop that uninstalled my lift said that older model Toyota trucks did not offer sufficient body support in the rear of the cab, and the lift kit could actually poke through the cab in the rear of the cab somewhere. It was happening to mine, causing a "floating" sensation for the body in the back. We caught it in time, and they repaired and supported the body as they de-lowered the truck.

Observation #2
    These engines ( 3.4L V6 ) w/ 160000 miles can run with crossed plug wires.
    My truck had two plug wires crossed for the past year ( before I owned it ), which we discovered in the "new owner tune up".

Observatiion#3
    A truck does not have to have been wrecked to have a bent frame. Mine had never been wrecked, at least not on paper, however, the right side frame rail was knocked back 8mm, and it was knocked up some too, making a front end alignment impossible as it was. I have since had the frame straightened out and put back to spec, the worn front end members replaced, and the alignment put back in.

Observation #4
    Bedliners do not necessarily protect the bed in every way. The fellow I got my truck from had a roll/light bar installed, requiring that holes be drilled all over the place. Moisture collected under the bedliner, along with cigarette butts. I will put in a Herculiner bed coating as soon as we can patch up the holes in the bed.

I am sure that I will learn many more llessons as new things are discovered, but I do love this little truck already. Can't wait to get the cheesy sounding exhaust replaced........ LOL , Jim

2. Nov 15, 2006 at 10:36 AM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    Sorry to hear about that jim. A friend of mine installed the 3"lift himself and he's very satisfied with it. I would not like to do that to my truck 'coz i know i am not getting any younger. but i do however agree witht he bed liner. My hubby is a DJ and his equipment just murdered my truck bed. I really don't have any plans on doign anything else with my truck other than installing an overhead tv/dvd/cd monitor and playstation2 attached. i think that's it. OK maybe making my window tints a lot darker. ok then that's it. (I think) :0)
    LdyTaco05

3. Nov 15, 2006 at 1:39 PM
    jrallan26

jrallan26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2004 White D-Cab TRD
    Dont even bother with Herculiner. Go with LineX. Just my .02

4. Nov 20, 2006 at 5:34 PM
    97Taco

97Taco Member

Member:
    The plastic bed liners protect the bed from dents and dings. But they trap dirt, sand, and moisture between the liner and metal bed. This grinds the paint off and lets the moisture get to the bare metal. This allows rust to start. I'll be getting a line-x or rhino liner on my tacoma.

5. Nov 21, 2006 at 6:54 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Was it a body lift or suspension lift? If it is poking through the cab I venture to say a body lift.

6. Nov 21, 2006 at 7:59 PM
    Jim Mann

Jim Mann [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    You are correct sir. They had a body lift, and a rear suspension lift on this truck. I do not believe that the body lift was installed correctly, however, the Offroad shop that did the reversible said that tha\ey see this from time to time on Toyotas, so this was not an isolated event. Thanks for your response, and good call. Jim Mann

7. Nov 21, 2006 at 8:22 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Yeah I'm not a fan of body lifts. 3-6 inches of suspension lift is all you really need, unless you SAS it then 9 inches but no more

8. Nov 24, 2006 at 3:01 PM
    dibsen

dibsen Well-Known Member

Member:
    I was looking to do a lift. I want to stuf some bigger tires in. But I dont do any seriuos off roading, so I thought a body lift or some spacers would be a budget method too get some 33's under there. Cash is always a consern.

9. Nov 26, 2006 at 11:18 AM
    archer of loaf

archer of loaf Well-Known Member

Member:
    if you want to do a lift do it right, and get a suspension lift.

10. Jan 3, 2016 at 8:20 PM
    96_taco

96_taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton sandgren
    Northern va
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma 2.7 4x4 extended cab
    33" bfg mud terrains, cold air intake, flowmaster with side exhaust, manual swapped, manual hub swapped, lifted on bilsteins
    Yeah body lifts are junk. Only right way to lift is suspension

Products Discussed in

To Top