Notices

Custom Ski/Snowboard Bed Rack

Old 01-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Canadian Ambassador
garrettnb is on a distinguished road

Name: Garrett
garrettnb's Tacoma Gallery
Custom Ski/Snowboard Bed Rack

So after a few trips up the mountain I realized I wanted something to secure the snowboard I take up the mountain with me. But not wanting to drop some big money on something I'd only use for a few months out of the year I opted out to make something myself with some 2x4s I had lying around. So without further delay:

The first fitting, none of the 3 main pieces secured:

Gluing in the foam:

All finished, with some snow to boot!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
jm218 is on a distinguished road
jm218's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty badass
Old 01-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
pretty sweet man
Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Nice.

You should finish the wood so it doesn't get destroyed by moisture.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
jm218 is on a distinguished road
jm218's Tacoma Gallery
You might try rolling the foam up and over the tops of the 2x4s standing vertical. That might prevent h2o from entering in the top/end of the vertical 2x4s and causing water log. Also could prevent the foam from separating from the 2x4s (provided the foam is one solid piece) as your board's edge might grab this shiznit when you put your board in the holder slot deal.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
Longtime reader first time poster
fatchance is on a distinguished road
Name: Chance
fatchance's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work, I have been interested in something convenient that can still be moderately secure for food beer stops on the way to and from. Ease of use is number one on my list, you did a nice job.

...did you get much out of the storm last week, I saw forecasts for Washington discussing the potential snow fall in feet rather than inches...sounded promising

Give us an update after living with the rack for a while

Fatchance
Old 01-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
nice. its always cool when someone makes stuff for there truck instead of just buying it
Old 01-28-2012, 01:37 AM   #10
Canadian Ambassador
garrettnb is on a distinguished road

Name: Garrett
garrettnb's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys! I'll update at the end of the season!

Madjik_Man: Stain is going to happen as soon as it's warm enough out to dry out the lumber and not freeze the stain...

jm218: I've considered this but was scrounging and only had enough foam for what I did cover. Additionally, it's held together by 2 nuts so I can just pull it out and stick it in the shed when not in use. No real worries about the moisture.

Fatchance: I did take advantage of the snow, we had a big ol dump on our mountains here. As soon as I find someone to crimp up the plastic coated steel cable I've got i'll have an ability to lock the boards to the truck. Assuming someone doesn't just unscrew the bindings from the board.

IDtrucks: Some of my friends ski, or I don't always have a full load.