Notices

96 4x4 for sale, what do you think?

Old 01-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Laissez les bons temps rouler
tacoma04 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bruce
tacoma04's Tacoma Gallery
96 4x4 for sale, what do you think?

I found this one for sale and wanted to know what you folks think. What do you look for in a 96 Taco? Problems to look for?

Feedback is appreciated.

96 4x4
Old 01-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
Duaneyo1 is a jewel in the roughDuaneyo1 is a jewel in the roughDuaneyo1 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Duane
Duaneyo1's Tacoma Gallery
KBB retail for that truck and mileage is only $4900. I live in the Midwest and would never, ever pay $7500 for a 1996 anything. You're down south in LA so maybe your mileage will very.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #3

Yep, the price is high imo. I think they could be talked down a bit. There is a place locally here that has an 89 4x4 and it is rough....needs a lot of work and they want $4500 for that one. This 96 looks way better than that one. I don't know, maybe prices around here are just crazy.

How does the truck look to you? I know about frame rust, but we don't have salt or anything like that on the roads.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Meh mine's better....and for sale!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...d-offroad.html

Been an AZ truck it's entire life, other than some early couple years in Californie. You want, you buy, you have!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
taco king
snoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shed
snoozeworm's Tacoma Gallery
soooo overpriced, run away!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
The price is high, no doubt, but if the truck is rust free, and runs good. They could get 6K easy.

Trucks like that sell in my area for about the price they are asking, because we have minimal rust problems in Florida.

Looks like a truck that has been taken care of. 16x,xxx miles...thats low for a 96, and you get a warn winch!

If its rusty though...run away and hide, because now the rust warranty for that year(s) is expired.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Meh mine's better....and for sale!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...d-offroad.html

Been an AZ truck it's entire life, other than some early couple years in Californie. You want, you buy, you have!
Honestly, between the two, yeah I'll take cmack's!

Plus the drive back to Louisiana would be a hoot, but then again I'm the road warrior that towed a Miata with an XJ Jeep from Tampa to Los Angeles and bought my Taco in Colorado to bring to Tulsa...
Old 01-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
Over priced

Old 01-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Honestly, between the two, yeah I'll take cmack's!

Plus the drive back to Louisiana would be a hoot, but then again I'm the road warrior that towed a Miata with an XJ Jeep from Tampa to Los Angeles and bought my Taco in Colorado to bring to Tulsa...
Plus I'm willing to negotiate. I just threw up a price because I wanted to get an ad up. Now I know what the lowest I can go is and what my truck is valued in the market currently...
Old 01-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #12
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
You you selling man? Thought you were getting new leafs and all??
Trust me I know. I just installed new rear billies a week ago too

I need $$$$ though as some unexpected finances came up this past week....so unfortunately my pride and joy for the past 4 years must go
Old 01-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Trust me I know. I just installed new rear billies a week ago too

I need $$$$ though as some unexpected finances came up this past week....so unfortunately my pride and joy for the past 4 years must go
that sucks man Sorry to hear that.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #15
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
sad to hear that man. Hope things work out for ya
Thanks dude. It's life. It'll all work out eventually. I'm sure sometime down the road I'll get a newer taco. Or a hilux depending on where I'm living at that point in life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
that sucks man Sorry to hear that.
Eh it is what it is. As my gran says, "You can only do what you can do." I have higher priorities that unfortunately must be taken care of sooner than later.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
CdnSldr is on a distinguished road
Army: Vehicle Tech. CPL, Maint. Coy, 18 Service Battalion
Name: Josh
CdnSldr's Tacoma Gallery
Manual Locking Hubs!! If you can talk them down to $6500 Id jump on it.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #17

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnSldr View Post
Manual Locking Hubs!! If you can talk them down to $6500 Id jump on it.
Manual locking hubs FTMFW!!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #18

Ok, I went and saw the truck and was surprised at how good the interior looked. Very clean inside with wear on the outside of the driver's seat from getting in and out. It is frayed, not worn through. Rest of the interior is very nice.

The body looks good. There are about three dents in the tailgate and two on the roof and that is it. The sides have faint scratches. Looks like from going through the woods and having some bushes and branches scrap the sides. Wheels look like crap, but I would changes those anyway. Tires look good too.

Don't know anything about the mechanical since it is Sunday and they are closed. Tried to put the VIN in Toyota page where my truck is, but said the database was not available, so will check that later.

I might talk to them Monday and see what they might do on price.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #19
stump thumper
ruler1 is a jewel in the roughruler1 is a jewel in the roughruler1 is a jewel in the rough
ruler1's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my 97 xtra cab, 2.7, 4x4, 5 speed, Manual hubs, in december for 6500. Florida truck, rust free and It had 157k. The interior was mint and it runs like a top. Has wheels and mud tires, intake, and header. Inside is mint (minus the dang cup holder). I had to search a while to find 4x4 4 cylinder and 5 speed. I love my truck. I can tell you what I am having to replace. The rear leafs are flat, both cv axles (I also did the dif drop) needed to go, and the transfer case needed a seal. Also if it has aftermarket wheels take a lug nut off and make sure there is enough grabbing the stud. I was amazed at what the previous owner was riding around on. I also had to change the battery (wrong size), o2 sensors, belts, and install the rear brake adjuster bracket. I am also in the process of identifying why the truck pulls when I brake. At first I thought caliper but I think something else is responsible.

That's what was up with mine and it is a sharp looking truck. I went to the dealership and asked for 4x4 and five speed and they told me impossible used. I found mine on Craig's list 1 1/2 hours away. People don't let the 5 speeds go around here. If it were auto you could probably get it for about 2k cheaper.

I take my vehicles to the next level though. I just can't leave them alone. I probably could have left this one alone and just felt with big issues as they arose, but I like to tinker and know my truck is ready for whatever. It sounds like a lot of money but parts are cheap and all said and done il have less than 10k in it with no payments. The new ones are way too expensive to me when the old ones will ride the heck out.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #20
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Anything over 5.5k is too much. The reality is that it no longer qualifies for the rust buyback, so when the frame rots you're on your own. New frames or a new ride are not cheap!

I love the look of the original (95-97) Tacomas the best, but they're a dying breed and not as valuable anymore after the recall runs out for them.