Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Whats the best lift for a 2004 tacoma 3.4L

Old 01-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
kalin.nichols is on a distinguished road

Name: Kalin
kalin.nichols's Tacoma Gallery
Whats the best lift for a 2004 tacoma 3.4L

Trying to get the best quality lift for my truck i dont want a bunch of add a leafs and blocks under my truck. Im trying to get a 6" but i can only find fabtech or more i see some of the quality suspension lifts with coil overs but they only get about 3" of lift all the bigger lifts i find the bigger coil overs that fit 05 and up

does anyone know of any quality lifts other then doing a S.A.S or long travel?

Any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 01-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Search around the site for a bit. There is a ton of info on systems and lifts for your truck.

Ask yourself (or maybe you have) what you will be doing with the truck. Off-roading? Mud? Rocks? Trails? Desert? Mall parking lot?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #3

Its going to be used as a wheeler not sitting in a mall parking lot or i would use a fabtech the only problem with only having a 3" is i can only clear 33's and all the places that we go wheeling where i live have big ass mud holes water crossings and big rocks that u get high centered on i dont think they look bad being up that high but the cheap lifts you dont get any ground clearance and u just have a tall p.o.s that is no better then you were running stock
Old 01-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
ttran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
ttran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin.nichols View Post
Its going to be used as a wheeler not sitting in a mall parking lot or i would use a fabtech the only problem with only having a 3" is i can only clear 33's and all the places that we go wheeling where i live have big ass mud holes water crossings and big rocks that u get high centered on i dont think they look bad being up that high but the cheap lifts you dont get any ground clearance and u just have a tall p.o.s that is no better then you were running stock
Danggg.... I'm no grammar nazi, but some punctuations would be nice. Also, what do you consider a cheap lift? You could get some Bilstein shocks with Toytec springs for the front, and an AAL for the rear for a relatively cheap price. That'll give you about 3 inches of lift and more ground clearance than a drop bracket lift such as the Fabtech one you mentioned.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttran View Post
Danggg.... I'm no grammar nazi, but some punctuations would be nice. Also, what do you consider a cheap lift? You could get some Bilstein shocks with Toytec springs for the front, and an AAL for the rear for a relatively cheap price. That'll give you about 3 inches of lift and more ground clearance than a drop bracket lift such as the Fabtech one you mentioned.
HAHAHA ya sorry about that, the main thing i was looking for is trying to fit 35's on my truck and still have some flex. I didnt want to get a lift with add a leafs and blocks cause I don't like feeling like I'm wheeling a forklift that i feel like is gonna tip over. The trails that we wheel which are pretty sideways I normally used my jeep before but i got so much flex out of it but it was a P.O.S that i cut up and tore shit off to get it where i wanted. I wanted something legit cause i paid over 20,000 for my truck 2 years ago and I don't want to get cheap crap that isn't going to perform or tip over
Old 01-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
Tacomas FTMFW!!!!
sir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud of

sir1123's Tacoma Gallery
get a 3" lift and make your wheel wells bigger and
put 35"s on it.....way more clearance than a 6" db lift and if you want bigger tires just take your fenders off...jk but seriously
Old 01-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA, SAF
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
you dont want 6 inches, let me tell you right now.
3 inches will look best and perform best. 1st gens look awful 6 inches up and (like you said) nobody makes 6 inch lifts but kits like fabtech
This ^^.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Search around the site for a bit. There is a ton of info on systems and lifts for your truck.

Ask yourself (or maybe you have) what you will be doing with the truck. Off-roading? Mud? Rocks? Trails? Desert? Mall parking lot?
And this ^^.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
In addition to the Tacoma Lift FAQ/Guide sticky, recommend you also spend some time reviewing the the Suspension Lift Info sticky.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
As others have said, 3 inches of lift looks, and gives, the most bang for your buck.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #10
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin.nichols View Post
I appreciate what you are saying. Any of the 6" DB lifts are going to chew up ground clearance due to the drop bracket, hanging down from the center of the vehicle. It has been said that a 3" lift with 33" tires will have better centerline clearance that one of those 6" DBs with the 35s. You only real option (and it sounds like it is not an option) would be to go to SAS.

I think that you will find that the 3/33 set up is quite capable. It is not a hard core rock crawler, but will handle some pretty decent obstacles. A friend told me once when considering going to a slightly bigger tire for more ground clearance, that, ultimately, that inch you gain is really small. Better to increase your driving skill and pick a great line. There will always be something that your (or any) vehicle cannot get over.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
Texasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud ofTexasdynaryder has much to be proud of

Name: Chance
Texasdynaryder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir1123 View Post
get a 3" lift and make your wheel wells bigger and
put 35"s on it.....way more clearance than a 6" db lift and if you want bigger tires just take your fenders off...jk but seriously
Run no fenders are you serious.... I thought I only had that great idea.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #12
magog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud of

magog45's Tacoma Gallery
They are giving you good advice, while you may want a 6" lift it is not the best choice for a 1st gen Tacoma. 35" tires can give you more issues than just clearance, regearing, drivetrain failure and just looking goofy anyplace besides the trail. If deep mudholes and huge rocks are where you want to play then I would suggest a full size truck, you can keep the Tacoma and pickup an old beater Chev, Ford, or Dodge pretty cheap and then it doesn't matter if you smash the hell out of it.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #13

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Another thing that you will find when lifting your truck is that the lift actually has little to do with the size tires you can fit. Most of the interference comes in the areas in front of and behind the tire, not above it. THis will require some trimming (which I am current going through) of fender liners, fender flares, etc.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #14

Im just going to say screw it and go with getting a long travel suspension kit after checking out the new guy at works truck. He has the same truck i have but in a pre runner so i might have to switch things up a little. Im probably just gonna get 33s and get the fiberglass front end conversion cause i want mine to sit like his. mines on the left the red one.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #15

My main concern was the flexing issue before but the flex on a kit like that was pretty insane
Old 01-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #17
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
you ready to drop AT LEAST 8k into long travel front and rear?
Old 01-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #18
Tacomas FTMFW!!!!
sir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud of

sir1123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdynaryder View Post
Run no fenders are you serious.... I thought I only had that great idea.
great minds think alike
Old 01-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
you ready to drop AT LEAST 8k into long travel front and rear?

Haha ya im only doing the front end for now and probably going to go with something a little different in the back until im ready like the other guy at my work he wasnt ready for the rear end so he got diff shocks and a new pack but it travels good enough to hit the dunes at 60 mph its going to be a work in progress one thing at a time i only have saturdays to work on it at my fab shop
Old 01-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #20
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
You have a fab shop?

Building a bed cage would actually be pretty cheap for you then since you can do the fab work yourself.