Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lower Strut nut off bolt just spins and won't come out

Old 01-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
lil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant future

Name: Jacen
lil J's Tacoma Gallery
Lower Strut nut off bolt just spins and won't come out

Replacing my suspension on my 99 finished the driver side moved over to the passanger side and removed the lower nut on the strut, but the bolt won't budge. Tried penetrating oil and hammer, didn't budge, soaking right now as we speak. Probably go at it with a torch later, any other suggestions. I only got another day of good weather and then I guess it's on to the pros and see what they can do
Old 01-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have access to air tools? If so.......may need to use an impact gun on reverse and smack the bolt with a hammer to free it. Sounds kinda like its rusted to the shock bushings collar.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Resident "dude"
tacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
tacotrd647's Tacoma Gallery
Or get an air hammer and go to town. You'll have to get a new bolt but it will get it out.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
lil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant future

lil J's Tacoma Gallery
My neighbors been out of town and he's worked on cars since I was a kid, over 30 years, he has air tools, another guy had the same problem and he ended up cutting the strut in half to get the bolt out. So I have a few options
Old 01-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
you could cut/grind the head off the bolt and smack it out the other way.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil J View Post
Replacing my suspension on my 99 finished the driver side moved over to the passanger side and removed the lower nut on the strut, but the bolt won't budge. Tried penetrating oil and hammer, didn't budge, soaking right now as we speak. Probably go at it with a torch later, any other suggestions. I only got another day of good weather and then I guess it's on to the pros and see what they can do
Stupid question here.
Are you certain that the coil is not compressed/stretched?
Old 01-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #7

lil J's Tacoma Gallery
Still couldn't get that damn bolt to budge dropped it off at the placed that put my struts together. For $240 he fixed the front strut and took care of the rear suspension too. $1180 after taxes free shipping for the Old Man Emu Nitro Sport Package, $18 for strut plates from rockauto, $35 to assemble the struts. All in all just under $1500 for a brand new suspension installed, I didn't think that was too bad. Now its time to replace my 20's for some 18's.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Still couldn't get that damn bolt to budge dropped it off at the placed that put my struts together. For $240 he fixed the front strut and took care of the rear suspension too. $1180 after taxes free shipping for the Old Man Emu Nitro Sport Package, $18 for strut plates from rockauto, $35 to assemble the struts. All in all just under $1500 for a brand new suspension installed, I didn't think that was too bad. Now its time to replace my 20's for some 18's.
what coils and leafs did you go with?

sounds good...$240 isn't bad at all for suspension install.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #9

lil J's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
what coils and leafs did you go with?

sounds good...$240 isn't bad at all for suspension install.

I went with the light load kit, tried to attach a pic don't know if it worked

2 inches of lift
Old 01-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #10

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I went with the light load kit, tried to attach a pic don't know if it worked

2 inches of lift
I dont see a pic.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #11

lil J's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
I dont see a pic.
too many pixels
Old 01-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #12

lil J's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
too many pixels
Think I got it, I've seen lots of other nicer trucks hope this pic was worth the wait. Only Horizon Blue Tacoma I've seen here
Attached Thumbnails
Lower Strut nut off bolt just spins and won't come out-yes.jpg  
Old 01-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #13

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Think I got it, I've seen lots of other nicer trucks hope this pic was worth the wait. Only Horizon Blue Tacoma I've seen here
looks good, you dont see that color much

...but those rims

Glad you said you are ditching those for 18's.

I would still go smaller. Anything over 16'' on our 1st gens doesn't look right IMO...