1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weird Coolant Leak

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sandguy77, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Feb 1, 2012 at 8:03 PM
    sandguy77

sandguy77 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    01 4wd SR5 Double Cab
    Hey guys. I bought my 01 tacoma last year and it's been a great vehicle so far but I'm having a problem chasing down a coolant leak. The coolant was pouring out the front of the motor so I thought it was the pump. I replaced it and the timing belt and found coolant on the top driver's side of the motor when I got it put back together. Here are a couple of pics of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris

toyota.jpg
    toyota1.jpg

2. Feb 2, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    brs127s

brs127s Well-Known Member

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.
    My 04 leaked into the hollow cavity under the intake. Once it finally filled up, it started leaking down the back of the motor. You may have the same thing happening, but it is leaking from the front instead.

3. Feb 2, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    4wd Boss

4wd Boss Shake and Bake

Member:
    First Name:
    Jefferson
    Big D
    Vehicle:
    16 Quiksand TRD Offroad
    Fog Light Mod, Pro Grille, raptor lights, 1.25 spacers, RC coilovers
    thats a little extreme and pricey $$ to replace a water pump and timing belt if your not 100% sure thats the problem. hard to tell from the pics whats going on. but good luck

4. Feb 2, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    brs127s

brs127s Well-Known Member

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.
    I was lucky with mine that it was still under the extended warranty, and the dealer wasn't sure if it was the intake or head gasket. It ended up being the intake gasket, but they tore the motor down in order figure that out and to clean it up. It had been leaking for quite some time and had all kinds of gunk in the cavity. They replaced the water pump/fan clutch, timing belt and a couple of other maintenance things while they were into the motor. There was some wire/sensor they replaced that was a non-maintenance that I had to pay for. It was like 80 bucks, but that was nothing compared to if I would have had to pay for all the work myself. That was definitely on of the times the extended warranty was worth the money.

5. Feb 2, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    sandguy77

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    01 4wd SR5 Double Cab
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm glad other people have had this problem because its got me stumped. I guess I should've looked closer before I tore the front of the motor down but oh well. I got a new pump and belt on it for if I ever get it running again. I'm used to working on Chevy's so this Toyota is a learning experience for me. I'll tear the intake off tonight and let you know what I find. Thanks again!

6. Feb 3, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    sandguy77

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    01 4wd SR5 Double Cab
    Well, I pulled the intake off last night. Wow, was that a chore. It looks like it was the intake gasket by the water jacket on the driver's side front of the motor. Those gaskets weren't cheap. I noticed some corrosion around the pipe that goes from the heater core to the front of the block under the intake. I pulled it off to replace the gasket. Nobody knows what I'm talking about. Not even a toyota dealer. They told me to use black silicone on it but that scares me. If it leaks I'm going to lose it because it was no fun getting to that point. Does anyone know what that pipe is referred to as or know if they make a gasket for it? Thanks again guys!

7. Feb 3, 2012 at 9:49 PM
    rushr

rushr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 DC TRD 4X4
    OME 883 Coils, Dakar Leaf Packs/D6XL AAL, Nitrocharger Sport Shocks, ARB Bumper, Warn M8000 w/Synthetic Line, BAMF Sliders, Odyssey Battery, ProComp 7069 15x8, BFG KM2 33x10.5x15, Frame End Cap Mod, Hayden Transmission Cooler

Products Discussed in

To Top