Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Weird Coolant Leak

Old 02-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
sandguy77 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
sandguy77's Tacoma Gallery
Weird Coolant Leak

Hey guys. I bought my 01 tacoma last year and it's been a great vehicle so far but I'm having a problem chasing down a coolant leak. The coolant was pouring out the front of the motor so I thought it was the pump. I replaced it and the timing belt and found coolant on the top driver's side of the motor when I got it put back together. Here are a couple of pics of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Weird Coolant Leak-toyota.jpg   Weird Coolant Leak-toyota1.jpg  
Old 02-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
brs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura about
brs127s's Tacoma Gallery
My 04 leaked into the hollow cavity under the intake. Once it finally filled up, it started leaking down the back of the motor. You may have the same thing happening, but it is leaking from the front instead.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
Shake and Bake
4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jefferson
4wd Boss's Tacoma Gallery
thats a little extreme and pricey $$ to replace a water pump and timing belt if your not 100% sure thats the problem. hard to tell from the pics whats going on. but good luck
Old 02-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
brs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura about
brs127s's Tacoma Gallery
I was lucky with mine that it was still under the extended warranty, and the dealer wasn't sure if it was the intake or head gasket. It ended up being the intake gasket, but they tore the motor down in order figure that out and to clean it up. It had been leaking for quite some time and had all kinds of gunk in the cavity. They replaced the water pump/fan clutch, timing belt and a couple of other maintenance things while they were into the motor. There was some wire/sensor they replaced that was a non-maintenance that I had to pay for. It was like 80 bucks, but that was nothing compared to if I would have had to pay for all the work myself. That was definitely on of the times the extended warranty was worth the money.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm glad other people have had this problem because its got me stumped. I guess I should've looked closer before I tore the front of the motor down but oh well. I got a new pump and belt on it for if I ever get it running again. I'm used to working on Chevy's so this Toyota is a learning experience for me. I'll tear the intake off tonight and let you know what I find. Thanks again!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
Well, I pulled the intake off last night. Wow, was that a chore. It looks like it was the intake gasket by the water jacket on the driver's side front of the motor. Those gaskets weren't cheap. I noticed some corrosion around the pipe that goes from the heater core to the front of the block under the intake. I pulled it off to replace the gasket. Nobody knows what I'm talking about. Not even a toyota dealer. They told me to use black silicone on it but that scares me. If it leaks I'm going to lose it because it was no fun getting to that point. Does anyone know what that pipe is referred to as or know if they make a gasket for it? Thanks again guys!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
rushr is on a distinguished road
rushr's Tacoma Gallery
It's called a water bypass pipe. Use Toyota #08826-00100 FIPG(Form In Place Gasket) or equivalent