Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

best lift for the money (5lug)

Old 02-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
best lift for the money (5lug)

hey guys just wondering wat kinds of lifts are available for the first gen 5 lug for a decent price?? and by lifts i mean suspension between 2 and 3 inches and not body lifts.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lNtHwyiBEc
Old 02-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Hummingbird
Foihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Danny
Foihdzas's Tacoma Gallery
Is this going to be another "use the search bar"?

Heh, I have a 6 lug, so I can't give you any real information, except ... search bar?

I know it can be a PITA with such a large forum, lots of stuff comes up on the search window with no relevance .. GL!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ya i have scene the tc yota in person. and its freaking awsome!! and im by no means new to this site. i now how to use the search bar. i was just wondering if any of the 5 lug guys had any input on wat is the best lift for a decent price, wat they might be running and there experience with it. and i would def not be going LT, sorry.

so 5 luggers what do you thing is the best bang for your buck?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
PRBond is on a distinguished road

Navy: USNR - Honorably Discharged in Oct. '94
Name: Patrick
PRBond's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if you're talking about a 1st gen or a 2nd gen? (This is a 1st gen forum, but your sig shows a 2nd gen Tacoma)

Anyway, my brother has a 99 Tacoma extra cab, 5-lug and is also looking to lift it. The best lift that I see is to basically replace the spindles in the front and the springs in the rear. I know that Fabtech made a kit that you can find with longer spindles to lift a 96-04 Tacoma 5-lug and if you do some shopping you can find it online for around $400. http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/cart/FTS41307.html

Good Luck!
Old 02-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #6

yes im talking about first gens. im looking into getting another first gen like i had before my second gen for a little home weekend project. just wondering wat you first gen 5 luggers thought is the best way to go for the money?
Old 02-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
The only suspension lifts for 1st gen 5lugs that I know of are spacers or spindles/longtravel. I haven't heard of lifts between the two (just new coils and shocks that provide lift). I could be wrong though
Old 02-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
That's absolutely retarded why the fuck would you lift a 5-lug?

(Check the 5 lug forum... We have our own little place on TW )
Old 02-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
if your looking to buy another 1st gen, why not buy a 6 lug so you have a lot more options.

If you buy a 5 lug you can only do a shackle or AAL for the rear and spacers or spindles for the front.

And then there is long travel.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
There are coil lifts available for 5 lugs too. We have most of the types of lifts, just not much selection for brands.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
There are coil lifts available for 5 lugs too. We have most of the types of lifts, just not much selection for brands.
thanks for the correction. I did not know that anyone made lift coils for 5 lugs.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #12

why not do a 5 lugger??!!??! i used to have one just like you mowtoco, if i wouald have known wat i knw now about tacomas i prob would have keep it. and i did finally see that bs thread for 5 luggers.

my reasoning behind all this is so that my fam can have a little work truck to use for odds and ends when im not around with my truck. im in the coast guard and move around a lot. i knw it would be nice for them to have that luxury of havin a little truck to move stuff when im not there. plus i would have something to drive when i went home on leave, cause most of the time im flying home not driving. also, i want to have a little project/weekend wheeler truck and 5 lug i4s are def the cheapest and one of the most reliable trucks out there. my uncle still drives my grandpas 83 toyota truck that has close to 335,000 mi on it to the truck yards as a work truck.
im just trying to find wats the best and more reliable and thats not longtravel, cause i have no need for that. from wat i have scene its looking like the fabtech spindle lift with new shocks, aal, and new shackles.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
TRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chris
TRDChris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscg2008 View Post
why not do a 5 lugger??!!??! i used to have one just like you mowtoco, if i wouald have known wat i knw now about tacomas i prob would have keep it. and i did finally see that bs thread for 5 luggers.

my reasoning behind all this is so that my fam can have a little work truck to use for odds and ends when im not around with my truck. im in the coast guard and move around a lot. i knw it would be nice for them to have that luxury of havin a little truck to move stuff when im not there. plus i would have something to drive when i went home on leave, cause most of the time im flying home not driving. also, i want to have a little project/weekend wheeler truck and 5 lug i4s are def the cheapest and one of the most reliable trucks out there. my uncle still drives my grandpas 83 toyota truck that has close to 335,000 mi on it to the truck yards as a work truck.
im just trying to find wats the best and more reliable and thats not longtravel, cause i have no need for that. from wat i have scene its looking like the fabtech spindle lift with new shocks, aal, and new shackles.
What kind of shocks are you looking into getting? technically you don't need new shocks with the spindle lift, especially if you say your not looking to take it off road. If you do shackles and aal then your back is going to be higher that your front. I have spindles and spacers on the front and 2 inch shackles in the back of my 5 lug and they are almost even. The back is a little lower because i added the coil spacers in the front.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #14

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I was just pointing out that you have much more 6-lug lift options. And you will have the same reliability w/ a 6 lug as a 5-lug. If you like the 4 cylinder so much, the 6 lugs have a 3rz/2.7L that is the same motor as the 2.4 other than the displacement.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
I was just pointing out that you have much more 6-lug lift options. And you will have the same reliability w/ a 6 lug as a 5-lug. If you like the 4 cylinder so much, the 6 lugs have a 3rz/2.7L that is the same motor as the 2.4 other than the displacement.
With a 6 lug you would also get a bigger rear diff, the 8.4 with the 4 cylinder and I believe the 5 lug has a 7.5 rear diff. If you want a 2wd 5 speed you would have to get the 5 lug because the prerunners only came in autos. A 5 lug would mostly likely be cheaper to buy the truck itself. I can see positives and negatives going with either a 5 lug or a 6 lug.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #16

thanks for all the help guys i really appreciate it!! its not the fact that i dont like the 6lugs its just the fact that there are more 5lugs for sale than there are 6 lugs im goin more for price and mileage than what options it has. and i would def be taking it off road a little. any time im home i try and make a trip out to the desert or go hunting.

ok so no shackles and aal. but which would be better between the two? and if im gana get a spindle lift im sure it would just be a good idea to get some new shocks and springs for the front. i would prob go with the fabtech shocks that you can get with the spindle kit, but wat kind of springs would i be able to upgrade too? or am i stuck with the stock one?
again thanks for all the info guys its nice to learn new stuff.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #17
TRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to beholdTRDChris is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
thanks for all the help guys i really appreciate it!! its not the fact that i dont like the 6lugs its just the fact that there are more 5lugs for sale than there are 6 lugs im goin more for price and mileage than what options it has. and i would def be taking it off road a little. any time im home i try and make a trip out to the desert or go hunting.

ok so no shackles and aal. but which would be better between the two? and if im gana get a spindle lift im sure it would just be a good idea to get some new shocks and springs for the front. i would prob go with the fabtech shocks that you can get with the spindle kit, but wat kind of springs would i be able to upgrade too? or am i stuck with the stock one?
again thanks for all the info guys its nice to learn new stuff.
Shackles provide stock ride and aal are for hauling and supporting more weight and will stiffen up your ride and decrease your suspension flexibility.... I heard Fabtech shocks aren't that great so I would recommend getting some opinions on those before getting them because im not sure.....
Old 02-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #18

ok ya ill be doing that. i could always go with a new coil over but i would def trying to keep the cost down thats why i would try those out.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #19

A coilover for a first gen 5 lug? Thats a lot of money to convert into coilovers....
Old 02-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #20

ya thats why i would try and not go that route....