Where did you get the Toyota emblem at?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #43
Banned
TacoBrotha is on a distinguished road
TacoBrotha's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr97tacoma View Post
95-97 Tacoma Satoshi Write-up

I havent seem too many 95-97 satoshi grilles on here so i decided to give it a shot and make a write up. I wanted a color matched look so i painted it white.

Material List:

95-97 Painted grille - $30-$100
Toyota Landcruiser Emblem - $50 (PART NUMBER: #75311-90K00)
Perforated steel with round holes - $20
Color matched paint (2-3) - $30-$45
Black Gloss - $15
Clear Coat - $15
Epoxy - $5
Bondo and fiberglass - (had some laying around)

I also borrowed a dremel kit from a friend.

PART NUMBER: #75311-90K00

I started off by buying a new grille so i could take my time with it. I went with a painted style so i wouldnt have to deal with the chrome. Made it way easier to sand and prep the grille.

I cut out the horizontal and vertical members with a cutting disc on a dremel. I made sure it was as flush as possible without damaging it too much.

I sanded everything down with 120 grit sand paper and wiped it with a wet cloth. I then prepped the side parts for fiberglass. First time using this stuff and it was messy!

Left it overnight to harden and then applied the bondo. Again this was the first time using bondo so it was messy.

While the bondo was hardening, i traced the shape of the grille onto a piece of cardboard. I then transferred that onto my perforated steel. I cut the steel with a grinder and began sanding it down with 120 grit. I should have been using 400 grit too but i didnt have any. After sanding was done i sprayed it with brakleen to get rid of any rust or oils before painting.

I did a couple coats of etching primer and couple coats of gloss black paint.

you forgot zipties on your material list haha there what hold the whole thing together high quality lol
Old 03-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #44
emeraldtriangle is on a distinguished road
emeraldtriangle's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is old, but thank you for this write up!!
I have a 95 and have really really wanted to do this badly. Wasn't really sure where to start but you make it look pretty easy.
Hate to ask a stupid question but what exactly are those little pieces you used to secure the zipties with? I want to take this on. And another one..is it very hard to take off the whole grill to start? I know you got a whole new one, but obviously you still took off the old one.
I don't want to risk breaking anything in taking the grill off because then I would really be screwed.

How did the ties hold up? ^ ^ ^ This dude is talking S#!t but are there really many other options to get a secure hold on this?
Old 03-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #45
Pro skier
skiomax is on a distinguished road

Canadian Army:
skiomax's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck! look really good! I like 1St gen!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #46
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldtriangle View Post
I know this is old, but thank you for this write up!!
I have a 95 and have really really wanted to do this badly. Wasn't really sure where to start but you make it look pretty easy.
Hate to ask a stupid question but what exactly are those little pieces you used to secure the zipties with? I want to take this on. And another one..is it very hard to take off the whole grill to start? I know you got a whole new one, but obviously you still took off the old one.
I don't want to risk breaking anything in taking the grill off because then I would really be screwed.

How did the ties hold up? ^ ^ ^ This dude is talking S#!t but are there really many other options to get a secure hold on this?
Sorry i must have missed this.

The little pieces of plastic are a ziptie tiedowns i found at an auto parts store. You can use anything really. I thought it would work good because it had a hole in the center which would enable the glue to contact better.

The grill isnt too hard to remove. But you should probly pick up some spare grille clips that hold it to the body. They tend to break easily. Just take your time and work your way around. If you buy a new grille, it should come with new clips.

The ties are holding up great. You can purchase different kinds of zipties these days. White is generally for indoor and black is for outdoor. Black will last longer in the weather.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiomax View Post
Nice truck! look really good! I like 1St gen!
Thanks!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #47
Some who wander are not lost.
TacoTacoma96 is a jewel in the roughTacoTacoma96 is a jewel in the roughTacoTacoma96 is a jewel in the roughTacoTacoma96 is a jewel in the rough

Name: A.J.
TacoTacoma96's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. I'm gonna plan on doing that later down the road.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #48
TacoChad is on a distinguished road
Name: Chandler
TacoChad's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice work sir!