Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

95-97 Satoshi Build

Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
95-97 Satoshi Build

95-97 Tacoma Satoshi Write-up

I havent seem too many 95-97 satoshi grilles on here so i decided to give it a shot and make a write up. I wanted a color matched look so i painted it white.

Material List:

95-97 Painted grille - $30-$100
Toyota Landcruiser Emblem - $50 (PART NUMBER: #75311-90K00)
Perforated steel with round holes - $20
Color matched paint (2-3) - $30-$45
Black Gloss - $15
Clear Coat - $15
Epoxy - $5
Bondo and fiberglass - (had some laying around)

I also borrowed a dremel kit from a friend.

PART NUMBER: #75311-90K00

I started off by buying a new grille so i could take my time with it. I went with a painted style so i wouldnt have to deal with the chrome. Made it way easier to sand and prep the grille.

I cut out the horizontal and vertical members with a cutting disc on a dremel. I made sure it was as flush as possible without damaging it too much.

I sanded everything down with 120 grit sand paper and wiped it with a wet cloth. I then prepped the side parts for fiberglass. First time using this stuff and it was messy!

Left it overnight to harden and then applied the bondo. Again this was the first time using bondo so it was messy.

While the bondo was hardening, i traced the shape of the grille onto a piece of cardboard. I then transferred that onto my perforated steel. I cut the steel with a grinder and began sanding it down with 120 grit. I should have been using 400 grit too but i didnt have any. After sanding was done i sprayed it with brakleen to get rid of any rust or oils before painting.

I did a couple coats of etching primer and couple coats of gloss black paint.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Now back to the grille. I Sanded down the bondo after it dried until it was as smooth as could be. I then had to sand the edges down so the mesh would sit flush. I had to bring some parts of the edge up higher so it would make a straight line. I used a file.

After that it was priming time. A couple coats of primer and a quick sand.

Painting time!

I couldnt find the exact paint match for my truck so i had to color guess. i ended up getting Nissan Super White for my mine. Worked out pretty well cause it matched up good.

Finished it with a couple coats of Laquer clear coat. Test fitted the grille behind and it looked great!

Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Drunk Canadian

Now one of the hardest parts was painting the headlight surround area. Taping it was not fun and i couldnt seem to prevent black paint from getting onto the my white grille. After a couple fails i finally got it.

After it was completely dry, i flipped it over and worked on the pieces that will secure the mesh to the grille. I bought some little zip tie things to epoxy to the inside grille.

Left it overnight to harden. I then cut up the small mesh pieces for the side vent parts of the grille. Primed and painted them and secured them using zip ties.

All Done!

Old 02-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
Tacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacos Por Vida is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dominick
Tacos Por Vida's Tacoma Gallery
nice write up, might have to do this one day.....
Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
Drunk Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Old 02-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr97tacoma View Post
Hi Buddy
Old 02-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
caffeine nicotine gasoline
livel0veryde is on a distinguished road

Name: josh Rockett
livel0veryde's Tacoma Gallery
nice write up sir.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
nice!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #13
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
looks great. looking to getting a 4wd grille to replace my 2wd grille that is currently on the tacoma now.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #14
Drunk Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
very nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacos Por Vida View Post
nice write up, might have to do this one day.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tacoprerunner View Post
Nice! Looks good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
looks good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by livel0veryde View Post
nice write up sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilove_taco_ma View Post
looks great. looking to getting a 4wd grille to replace my 2wd grille that is currently on the tacoma now.
Thanks guys! I ordered a Landcruiser emblem today, should make it complete
Old 02-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #16
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I'd like to pull a "Danielson" and wax on and wax off to your truck.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #18
96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

96Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome!

Where did you get your steel mesh from?
Old 02-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #19
Drunk Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Taco View Post
Awesome!

Where did you get your steel mesh from?
Local welding shop. Its called "perforated sheet metal"
Old 02-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #20
Drunk Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I'd like to pull a "Danielson" and wax on and wax off to your truck.
Not sure what to say to that.... but thanks!