Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Interesting intermittent “No Start” problem with 2003 Tacoma

Old 02-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
alferguson01 is on a distinguished road
Name: Al
alferguson01's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting intermittent “No Start” problem with 2003 Tacoma

Interesting intermittent “No Start” problem with 2003 Tacoma, V6, 4x4, 42k miles.
OBD II Codes: 101, 102, 113

Purchased within last two months so I don’t have a ton of history

When researching Toyota VIN number, I found a dealer “repair” history “Customer says intermittently won’t start, check engine light on”.
Dealer’s comments: “Cannot duplicate issue. Attached fuel pressure monitor – pressure is within specs., drove 150 miles over one week, and cannot duplicate issue”. Runs fine.”
Dealer made no note on Codes.

I bought the truck anyway knowing this because it is so low mileage and in great condition.

Week 1: Drove it 100 miles home. Parked for 2 hrs – won’t start (more accurately, won’t stay running). Check engine light stays on. Engine starts VERY briefly then dies. Repeatedly, starts very briefly, stalls. Pull codes 101, 102, 113. Disconnected the MAFS at the air filter (noticed the air filter is new). Engine starts. Attempt to reconnect MAFS, engine stalls. Unplug MAFS. Restart, drive a few miles, re-plug MAF, runs fine. Reset (clear) codes. The engine was detailed so figured the connector got junked and cleaning / re-plugging may “fix” problem.

Week 2: Truck warm, parked for a few hours, won’t start (more accurately, won’t stay running) same as last week. Same Codes: 101, 102, 113. Purchase NEW MAFS, install, starts runs perfectly. Reset codes.

Week 3: Truck warm, parked for a few hours, won’t start (more accurately, won’t stay running) same as last week. Same Codes: 101, 102, 113. Purchase 2nd NEW MAFS (thinking maybe the first was a lemon), install, starts runs perfectly. Reset codes.

Week 4: Truck warm, parked for a few minutes, won’t start (more accurately, won’t stay running) same as last week. Same Codes: 101, 102, 113. Removed MAFS plug, starts and runs fine – drive home…. Hmmm, what to try next…?

After driving some ten miles or so, I can plug in the MAFS and it runs fine again. If I attempt to plug in the MAFS right after I start the engine by disconnecting the MAFS, it will stall the engine.

Any suggestions are welcome… The definition of insanity = repeating the same steps and expecting different results… so, I don’t think it is the MAFS. Dealer ruled out fuel delivery (to the fuel rail anyway) and seems like airflow is not an issue.

I have searched this Forum and have seen some similar posts. Seems to be a recurring phenomenon.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I'd try another ECU from a good running truck. Also, when the truck IS running, tap the MAF lightly with the handle of a screw driver; if the idle changes you have a bad MAF. LKQ sells a "new" ECU for $65.97.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
alferguson01 is on a distinguished road
Name: Al
alferguson01's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm... LKQ didn't seem to have the ECU for this truck (part# 896610Y020)
Old 02-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Shake and Bake
4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jefferson
4wd Boss's Tacoma Gallery
= lemon. sorry dude that sucks ( more accurately, REALLY sucks)
Old 02-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd Boss View Post
= lemon. sorry dude that sucks ( more accurately, REALLY sucks)
One problem doesnt make a lemon.