Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Transmission Whine PLEASE HELP

Old 02-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
I Am Batman!
Asta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to behold

Name: Daniel
Asta's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission Whine PLEASE HELP

I was looking at a Taco and I like everything about it except the Transmission is noisy. Manual trans that whines in most gears. 4th is quite but the others make a whining noise. Owner has owned truck from 32,000 miles and says it has done it the entire time he has owned it. He has had it checked and technician said it may run forever making noise and not breakdown, Truck now has 157,000 miles.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Taco or Die
Phearson is on a distinguished road

Name: Brad
Phearson's Tacoma Gallery
Its prob a THROWOUT BEARING. My buddys Ranger makes it in low to mid RPM's. But were not Rangers thank god... But if its coming from the tranny. Probably a bearing
Old 02-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Who needs roads?
Taco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
Taco me elmo's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is the same, its not the throw out bearing, that only makes noise when the clutch is pressed in.

It is the input shaft bearing deep within the transmission, leave it alone unless you want to rebuild the trans.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
I Am Batman!
Asta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to behold

Asta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco me elmo View Post
Mine is the same, its not the throw out bearing, that only makes noise when the clutch is pressed in.

It is the input shaft bearing deep within the transmission, leave it alone unless you want to rebuild the trans.
ya its only when its pressed thanks man!
Old 03-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
RT831 is on a distinguished road
RT831's Tacoma Gallery
did you ever figure out what was wrong with it?
or have it checked out?
Old 07-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
JPazEco is on a distinguished road
Name: Jean-Paul
JPazEco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco me elmo View Post

I've got the same issue on a 2003 Taco I just purchased recently. This isn't something that's going to cause more issues down the line? I'm getting ready to drive it across the country and I don't want it to leave me stranded in the middle of the desert.

Thanks,
Old 07-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
Critta93 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Critta93's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota is famous for a transmission whine, all years up until 2nd gen. Leave it alone.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
I Am Batman!

Asta's Tacoma Gallery
Its the input shaft bearing i had a guy that was the head mechanic at toyota take a look at it he said it will be fine i plan on replacing mine when i have to get a new clutch i just do the turn the radio up mod and you dont notice it
Old 07-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
Critta93 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Critta93's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta View Post
Its the input shaft bearing i had a guy that was the head mechanic at toyota take a look at it he said it will be fine i plan on replacing mine when i have to get a new clutch i just do the turn the radio up mod and you dont notice it
Yeah that's a nifty mod. Seems to work on several occasions haha
Old 07-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
JPazEco is on a distinguished road
Name: Jean-Paul
JPazEco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta View Post
Sweet, I've gotten the same response from multiple people. I'll let it run its course then and change it out when its time to replace the clutch. Thanks!