Notices

stolen catalytic converter

Old 02-06-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
pickuptruckguy is on a distinguished road

Marines: 1997 - 2002 Sgt. 3rd MAW.
Name: Bill
pickuptruckguy's Tacoma Gallery
stolen catalytic converter

My catalytic converter was stolen last week from the parking garage at SDSU. They also got another guy with a Tacoma parked about 100ft away from me. Filed a claim and after I paid my $500 deductible the insurance picked up the rest of the $1440 bill from the stealership. For the last week I've been debating how to prevent this from happening again. Just pulled the trigger on one of those ridiculous clamp things. At least I got a coupon and free shipping. I will post some pics when I get this thing installed, but I assume it will look similar to others who posted this product. Anyway, if your in SD watch out, the tweekers are back in business.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:17 AM   #2
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
damn that sucks man! and bump so more people can see and watch out.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:23 AM   #3
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
That sucks. Is there a video on you tube or something. This is getting to be worse than tailgates. They would be pretty bold to do that in my neighborhood. I wouldn't have to shoot them. A neighbor would.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
drwb is on a distinguished road

Name: Allen
drwb's Tacoma Gallery
damn SOB's! hope they lose their fingers somehow...anyways maybe after u get the new one installed, u can go to a muffler shop and have them do some spot welds maybe where it connects or on the bolts? since it's not gonna come off anytime soon..but I think they would know best on to where spot weld it so if u one day have to replace it, it wouldn't be a problem to take off...
Old 02-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwb View Post
damn SOB's! hope they lose their fingers somehow...anyways maybe after u get the new one installed, u can go to a muffler shop and have them do some spot welds maybe where it connects or on the bolts? since it's not gonna come off anytime soon..but I think they would know best on to where spot weld it so if u one day have to replace it, it wouldn't be a problem to take off...
won't stop them, they'll just cut the pipe
Old 02-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
mine was sawzalled a few years ago. and i would not go through the insurance. i paid like $350 for mine installed.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
Buddy of mine recently had his stolen from his '98 4Runner.

They were really clean. He thought it had fallen off at first. They were in and out in less than 5 minutes. I think he got an aftermarket one for $500 or something.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a good excuse to get some real skidplates.

The budbuilts cover a good amount of the cat. Nothing is theft proof, but it certainly is easier for them to just walk down to the next Tacoma.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post

The budbuilts cover a good amount of the cat. Nothing is theft proof, but it certainly is easier for them to just walk down to the next Tacoma.

Yeah that would make it a PITA to cut the front side of the pipe. Thieves would probably just go to another truck.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Yeah that would make it a PITA to cut the front side of the pipe. Thieves would probably just go to another truck.
that actually looks like it would be fairly effective. Is it bolted on or are those pins pressed in somehow? That's the Taco Belly Pan right? Any heat issues with that thing covering the cat?
Old 02-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
MacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post

WANT!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #12
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
That looks to be the whole IFS plate/bellypan assembly from them. I'm wondering if you can install the bellypan without the front skid...
Old 02-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #13
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickuptruckguy View Post
that actually looks like it would be fairly effective. Is it bolted on or are those pins pressed in somehow? That's the Taco Belly Pan right? Any heat issues with that thing covering the cat?
They are carriage bolts so they don't get marred/deformed if a rock hits them. There are standard nuts on the opposite side to drop it loose.
It is the tacoma bellypan, but AFAIK the 1st gen taco and 3rd gen 4runner bellypans are the same.
I haven't noticed any issues with heat. I did however banana the skid a little bit when I got hung up once. I bent it back for the most part by driving a very large truck on top of it. If you do get the bellypan, I suggest welding in some extra gusseting before you start wheeling it. I used some angle iron stock:

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdmac View Post
That looks to be the whole IFS plate/bellypan assembly from them. I'm wondering if you can install the bellypan without the front skid...
There are two bolts of the bellypan that connect to the IFS skid. Without having the IFS skid, you'd have to fab up your own bracket or cut off the front part of the skid. The bellyban is anything but light. Slightly better picture where you can see the front two bolts:

Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #14
General Calamari
YouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YouNext's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for the late response. The exact same thing happened to me over the summer--like a block away from SDSU. However i went a different route.

Just curious, where were you parked?
And was this before or after the police put out the alert that "toyota parts were being stolen"
Old 02-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #15
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
Remind me why do they take these again??
Old 02-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #16
87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of

87xjmike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouNext View Post
Sorry for the late response. The exact same thing happened to me over the summer--like a block away from SDSU. However i went a different route.

And was this before or after the police put out the alert that "toyota parts were being stolen"
those dirty rotten bitches.

that cat clamp looks like it'd go clunkety while wheeling.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1 View Post
Remind me why do they take these again??
There are precious metals in cats (platinum, iridium) so they steal them and take it to a metal scrap yard for the $$.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
straight pipe it and move along
Old 02-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #20
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouNext View Post

Get much sound from that inside/out due to vibration?

Sure wouldn't want something to get caught up on one of those lines when offroading