Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Extended warranty..yes or no?

Old 02-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
MainahWithaYota is on a distinguished road
MainahWithaYota's Tacoma Gallery
Extended warranty..yes or no?

Alright guys,
Finishing up the paperwork on my first Taco....was suppose to be ready to pick up today, but the idiots at the bank screwed around all day and now he doesn't have time today for me to come in and sign the papers.

I partially screwed myself because I didn't just go to the dealership and do the financing...I went directly to my local bank thinking I would come out ahead.

That's all besides the point though...The truck is used, it's an 04 DC with only 81k on it but being used it only comes with the standard 30day/1k warranty. The financing institution is offering a 4year/48k warranty but at what I think is an outrageous price....$1,875! It supposedly covers all the major stuff...I haven't got the pamphlet yet on what it is suppose to cover..So I don't know what the terms are as far as who has to service it and what not...

My initial response is....screw that...almost $1,900? pfffffff I'll take my chances, I have a good mechanic that works on my stuff, charges me next to nothing for labor and is good at what he does. The only thing in the back of my mind is if something a little more serious goes wrong, it would be nice to be able to bring it to a Toyota dealer and have them diagnose and fix a problem, rather than the possibility of me and my mechanic friend throwing money and ideas at the thing.

What if I need a new engine? Transfer case? Transmission? Hmmm...
Old 02-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
I put almost 8K miles in less than 7 weeks on my taco, after I got it in Dec 03 2011. Wanna know what went bad? NOTHING. Oh yeah it had 75K miles then...

I say save the money, this things are what dreams are made of. OTOH if it was a 2nd gen...
Old 02-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Take the $1900.00 set it aside assumeing you have it, check and see what maintance has been done,( I logged on to the Toyota website put in my Vin # and pulled up all the service records that were preformed by Toyota ) have your mechanic go over the truck, take it back to the dealer to have issues repaired if any.Do the recomemded maintance in the future and see what happens.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
MainahWithaYota is on a distinguished road
MainahWithaYota's Tacoma Gallery
You guys reaffirmed my initial thoughts!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely NO on the warranty, most are scams anyway even when offered by a dealer...