Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fender Flares!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Fender Flares!

This isn't a repost I just wanted to post and tell everyone how pumped I am because i finally got my fender flares to look new again!
Took about an hour and a 4 pack of magic erasers and the results are awesome! Gonna get a good sealant tomorrow and hopefully they stay looking this good for awhile!

Old 02-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Good job! I hope they stay that way for a long time.
I guess the Magic Erasers are somewhat abrasive to take the dull oxidation off.?.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Ya that's basically what it did. I had tried wet sanding them a while back with little results but the magic eraser worked like a charm!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
adt0423 is on a distinguished road
EMS: Fire/Rescue Volunteer
Name: Alex
adt0423's Tacoma Gallery
magic eraser for the win! dam things are amazing.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder if the same thing will happen to fender flares as restored headlights if you don't seal them.

Keep us posted
Old 02-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
livnlrn is a splendid one to beholdlivnlrn is a splendid one to beholdlivnlrn is a splendid one to beholdlivnlrn is a splendid one to beholdlivnlrn is a splendid one to beholdlivnlrn is a splendid one to behold

Name: Rick
livnlrn's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of sealer would you put on the flares?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
I Am Batman!
Asta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to behold

Name: Daniel
Asta's Tacoma Gallery
Got to love magic erasers!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Galt/Rearden 2012
whatatoy is a jewel in the roughwhatatoy is a jewel in the roughwhatatoy is a jewel in the roughwhatatoy is a jewel in the rough
whatatoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by livnlrn View Post

Those look good dude!

If they are plastic, I'd use armor-all... It's always worked on my exposed plastics...

Though, if it was on my truck, I'd sand them down and bed line them... but that's because that is what would look good on my truck...

Where can I get some of these?
Old 02-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by livnlrn View Post
I've been reading and everyone that has done this has said to use a marine grade sealer called "303". I haven't looked that far into it yet, but everything I have read says to use this stuff.

I think for these fender flares most people stay away from armor all or back to black or anything of this nature. I'm not real sure of the reason why, but I would assume that these products may increase the speed of the oxidation or something I don't really know !!

Hopefully we get some ok weather here tomorrow and I can wash my truck and get some 303 to put on the flares!
Old 02-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatatoy View Post
Those look good dude!

If they are plastic, I'd use armor-all... It's always worked on my exposed plastics...

Though, if it was on my truck, I'd sand them down and bed line them... but that's because that is what would look good on my truck...

Where can I get some of these?
Are you talking about the magic eraser? I got mine at Walmart 4 for $5.

And ya I thought about painting them or using bed liner but
A) I'm not a huge fan at all of the bed liner fender flares, I like the clean smooth look
B) If I was guessing I would bet it would be pretty hard to get bed liner or paint to stick to that plastic and even if you did I imagine it would cheap, but who knows I could be completely wrong!

But for $5 this was a cheap quick way to fix the problem and if it doesn't last then I will probably look into painting them black.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #11
Galt/Rearden 2012
whatatoy is a jewel in the roughwhatatoy is a jewel in the roughwhatatoy is a jewel in the roughwhatatoy is a jewel in the rough
whatatoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stucksucksnayota View Post
Are you talking about the magic eraser? I got mine at Walmart 4 for $5.

And ya I thought about painting them or using bed liner but
A) I'm not a huge fan at all of the bed liner fender flares, I like the clean smooth look
B) If I was guessing I would bet it would be pretty hard to get bed liner or paint to stick to that plastic and even if you did I imagine it would cheap, but who knows I could be completely wrong!

But for $5 this was a cheap quick way to fix the problem and if it doesn't last then I will probably look into painting them black.
Where can I get some fender flares - and on my truck, the bumper and bottom is bed lined... so bedlined flares would match... not for everyone though...

The bed liner is sticking very well, by the way, to my plastic bumper parts... just a simple can of rustoleum...
Old 02-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatatoy View Post
Where can I get some fender flares - and on my truck, the bumper and bottom is bed lined... so bedlined flares would match... not for everyone though...

The bed liner is sticking very well, by the way, to my plastic bumper parts... just a simple can of rustoleum...
I really don't know. Ebay maybe?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucksucksnayota View Post
I've been reading and everyone that has done this has said to use a marine grade sealer called "303". I haven't looked that far into it yet, but everything I have read says to use this stuff.

I think for these fender flares most people stay away from armor all or back to black or anything of this nature. I'm not real sure of the reason why, but I would assume that these products may increase the speed of the oxidation or something I don't really know !!

Hopefully we get some ok weather here tomorrow and I can wash my truck and get some 303 to put on the flares!
Are you talking about 303 Aerospace?

Not much of a sealer... just a far superior product to armor all
Old 02-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Are you talking about 303 Aerospace?

Not much of a sealer... just a far superior product to armor all

Quoted for thruthfulness. I bought it @ Cabelas during a 2X1 sale, that stuff is pure magic!
Old 02-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
Adam Baum is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Adam Baum's Tacoma Gallery
I don't use armor all because when it rains the stuff will splatter all over your paint. Apparently it doesn't stick very well once it gets wet.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #16
Badbagger has a spectacular aura aboutBadbagger has a spectacular aura about
Air Force:
Badbagger's Tacoma Gallery
Had to chime in here, I found the solution to NEW looking fender flares again TOO!

Here's some pics.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...s-freddie.html
Old 02-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #17
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
303 FTW. You can find it at West Marine or most other marine supply stores. It is amazing. I use it on my fender flares, dash, boat, raft, and pretty much anything else that is fiberglass, plastic, or vinyl.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbagger View Post
Had to chime in here, I found the solution to NEW looking fender flares again TOO!

Here's some pics.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...s-freddie.html
Very interested ^
Old 02-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #19

Those flares look awesome!!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #20
javadoody is on a distinguished road
javadoody's Tacoma Gallery
used this 18 months ago, no oxidation since and i'm at 5K feet.
http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Black-.../dp/B000FOIJXQ

Products Discussed in this Thread