Notices

Question about lift kits

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
Hondarider77f is on a distinguished road
Name: Evan
Hondarider77f's Tacoma Gallery
Question about lift kits

So, Im getting my dads truck soon, and its a 1997 tacoma, i want to lift it a little with some 31.5 bfg allterains, i think 3" sounds good, and i found two different lift kits, and I dont understand the difference between them other than the price

Could someone explain the difference between these two? any reccomendations?
http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...A5964A0A0.aspx
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

Thanks
Old 02-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
adt0423 is on a distinguished road
EMS: Fire/Rescue Volunteer
Name: Alex
adt0423's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100 / Eibach lift. cruise around tacoma world for a few days you'll see that this set up is really popular. i also have a 97 tacoma ext cab. 5 speed. mines green 4x4 w/ 2.7. you might also look into http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...an-thread.html since your in richmond.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not going to be a dick and yell 'searchbar' at you, but there's heaps and heaps of information on the 1st gen forum about different lifts. Common themes, though, are:

-NO block/spacer lifts
-NO body lifts
-Eibach/Bilstein5100s (as said above)
-Old Man Emu (ARB's suspension)
-King/Icon/SAW coilovers (pricey)

Rear stuff:
-Add-a-leaf (AAL)
-New lift springs (OME Dakar/Wheeler 5pk/etc)
-Lift shackles

But take a long look around this forum for more information and watch out...you might catch the 'mod bug' pretty badly from us!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
JoshM is on a distinguished road
JoshM's Tacoma Gallery
Coming from the world of Hondas, I knew nothing about lifting trucks. These two links helped me out tremendously:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...udes-pics.html
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...uide-read.html
Old 02-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
adt0423's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLharry View Post
watch out...you might catch the 'mod bug' pretty badly from us!
That's a real understatement. You'll search here, find the lift you want, and be hooked. haha game over.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
okay, okay, hold on a second, I wanted a body lift most likely, is there a reason why I should pay more to get a suspension lift, all Im gonna do is use it as a daily driver and occasionally go through a little mud (and I mean little).
Old 02-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
adt0423's Tacoma Gallery
they also wear down parts on your truck faster than if it was stock or had a suspencion lift. they are cheap yes but they will cost you more money in the long run. like STLharry said no block/spacer lifts no body lifts.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider77f View Post
okay, okay, hold on a second, I wanted a body lift most likely, is there a reason why I should pay more to get a suspension lift, all Im gonna do is use it as a daily driver and occasionally go through a little mud (and I mean little).

bad idea man.

BLs are cheap for a reason. They take away from the trucks stability and safety and reliability. Suspension lifts are the best way to go as you are upgrading the actually amount of travel your truck can flex. BL don't do anything but cause problems later down the road.

Im running the Eibach/5100 combo up front.

Do some looking around and searching. You'll get an idea.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
thanks guys, i think Ill hold off on a lift for now, but when i put some new tires on it, Ill put up some pics, and IF i lift it, ill definitely put some pics up....its lavendar steel (OOOOHHH)(i always made fun of my dad for that, now its gonna be mine :/)
Old 02-09-2012, 06:48 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Whats wrong with that color?

Nothing, my dad just got made fun of (because he works at a toyota dealership) for it being "perrywinkle blue"....i didnt come up with it, but I thought it was funny

Products Discussed in this Thread